Cold weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cherries

Reaction score
We are in the process of semi finishing our basement into an area for the computer & bunnies. We live in Colorado so sometimes it can be cold. My question is in the winter or cold days should I do anything? I'll make sure they have bedding/blankets to snuggle in but don't want them to freeze :) thanks!

Rabbits actually tolerate cold better than heat so I think they will do fine in your basement. Some of us actually keep our rabbits outside in winter in cold climates. I know my basement stays at about 60 degrees in the winter, which would be fine for rabbits, and it's cool in the summer down there, which would be good too. Do you know the exact temperature your basement tends to be in winter? If they stay down there all the time, they will adapt and I'd say be fine with anything above freezing.

Prob 55-60 would be my guess.. But have never really checked. If we ever get another big snow storm and under freezing temps I'll be sure to check. Thanks for the info! I'm excited to get them their own area!

The cold doesn't bother rabbits as much as we think it does. The only thing I would worry about is the wind. If its cold and windy, it much harder for them to stay warm. Your bunnies coats should get thicker if not already into their winter coats to help adjust to the cold. As long as you shelter them from the wind, they should be able to tolerate pretty cold temperatures. 50-65 is perfectly fine and you should have no problems, but remember to provide a hidey house they go into if it gets cold at night.

rabbits do great in the cold. i live in Wisconsin and it got down to -45 with windchill this winter and i just put some hay in their hutches and put a tarp over their hutches. did not lose even one rabbit. now, it is the heat you have to worry about.

Good to know! The basement will just give them more free roaming area and more space for my boys in the playroom so seems like a win win.. Will be perfect this summer in CO to keep them cool since we don't have ac! :) thank you all!

If they are outside make sure they have bedding and a clean cage to snuggle up in. And rabbit can tolerate up to 30 degrees.

May I suggest the use if a uth (under tank heat) mat. These are usually used for reptiles. I would use it with caution though since it can reach temp about 97+ but if you use it like instructed you will be fine.or you can go the bulky way and insulate the area with extra hay extra bedding and even a towel they can bundle up in

May I suggest the use if a uth (under tank heat) mat. These are usually used for reptiles. I would use it with caution though since it can reach temp about 97+ but if you use it like instructed you will be fine.or you can go the bulky way and insulate the area with extra hay extra bedding and even a towel they can bundle up in

I keep my rabbits outside and have used a warming mat specifically made for small animals like rabbits, but they don't even use it. They just prefer to sit on the hutch floor or on some straw. I keep it going anyway just in case they ever need it since it has been such a cold winter here in NY. For the person who started this thread though, a basement will not get as cold as outside so I don't really think you need anything special. If your rabbit doesn't chew fleece, you could give it a blanket to lie on, but also give it other options so it can find what is most comfortable for him/her.

Latest posts

Back