cold weather and breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score
Okay,

So here is the scoop I have been looking for steel dutch,a friend of mine is willing to breed her buck tomy doe in hopeswe produce a steel. My only problem is fall is setting in nights are cold,how can you have babies in a barn that isnt heated just insulated?? :?Does anyone have anything that they do that may help me so I do not loose this much awaited litter? I can't bring the doe into my house or have my friend keep her there weve already thought of that. I also dont use heat lamps I normally stop my breeding pogramat the end of Sept. But I know lots of people that have rabbits allyear in simular situations as mine.Does anyone have any tips??

Thank you

I heard from a few people that they breed during the winter. And there babies are well better then during the summer. This is my first winter. And I am planning on breeding during the cold weather. I havent had any luck at all with babies this summer!

I use wooden nestboxes, as they are much better insulators, and won't get cold like metal nestboxes. That is a good first step. ;)

I will put a towel in the bottom of the nestbox, build a nest of hay, and then give the doe more hay so she can add to the already built nest. I only build it first, in case they don't build it themselves. ;) I keep all the fur from my rabbits during molts, and use that to add to nests, and use it as replacement fur when I clean the nestbox, and have to toss out some of the wet, dirty fur.

Another thing you can do is put large towels around the sides, back & top of the cage, but leave the front clear, and that will help keep any small drafts out.

I have no problems with having litters in the fall/winter, and that is usually when I have my litters.

Emily

Where you are Rae, I wouldn't worry not September/October breeding, it's closer to late November and early December that I would start worrying about keeping them warm. When I bred in the winter up there, I only had my rabbit shed at around 40 degrees, and all my guys kept their litters. Josie was born in 40 degree weather! if Josie's the one you're thinking of breeding to Val's steel. Josie and I would bring Peyote or Misty as well.

I live in NH and breed year round. My barn is insulated but not heated and the water doesn't freeze unless it is below 20 degrees. I use wooden nest boxes and make sure that they have plenty of shavings in the bottom of the boxes and hay. If it is going to be super cold I hang a 60 watt light bulb in a light fixture with a metal reflector over the cage above the nestbox and that is enough to keep them warm. I get some of my best rabbits from winter breedings.

There are lots of cold climate breeders that bring their babies in the nestboxes into the house or a heated space and bring them out for the does to feed twice a day. They leave the babies with the dam once they are furred and are moving around.

My buck seem to go infirtile in winter..so good luck!
Use the wooden nest box not the metel ones, lay down pine shaving and a layer of hay and fur on top and hay around the side, cover the babies with some fur to, that should be warm enough:)

One more thing. You will need to leave the light on for at least 14 hours a day or they won't breed.

Thank you all for your tips I use hay and wooden nest boxes in the summer too so I am all ready Heather - I am breeding three dutch does but none to vals b/c she had 11 rabbits die for no reason and I dont want to bring my rabbits there or have her rabbits come to me and infect them I Love my rabbits too much to risk them

Like others have said, theres no probs breeding in the winter. I use wood nest boxes and put extra hay in and let the does do their thing.

Latest posts

Back