Cocoa had a convulsion!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
So far both of my rabbits have been doing great. Bun-Bun rarely sneezes and Cocoa's eyes don't water that much.
Well, today as I was cleaning I heard Cocoa let out a few sneezes and Iturned around and looked at him and he was flapping his head flappingviolantly and flickering his paws in differant positions. He wobbledaround on 2 feet and tried to climb the cage!! This episode was only 15seconds long. So I wanna know, what kind of convulsion was this?

I'm setting up an appointment next wendsday -that's the only time I have available. Thank god there was a side jobopen at the right time!! He's doing O.K. right now. Sleepin like a dollbaby.
Ya, know, I have heard some thing about sneezing triggering seizures - but only in humans.

But one thing, if he was to have Epilepsy, what kind of meds would he have to take? Pills? Liquid? Some sort of food?

I'll make sure to update ya'll!!

Bun~Bun wrote:
But one thing, if he was to have Epilepsy, what kind of meds would he have to take? Pills? Liquid? Some sort of food?

I'll make sure to update ya'll!!

The link I posted above mentions some of the medications currently inuse. Because your rabbit has been sneezing, the vet shouldcertainly consider the possibility of a infection.

See this link for further info on causes of seizures in rabbits and medications used:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

Pam

Great. Spent thenightworking on a Seizure post for the Resource Center, and Ithink just about everything is covered in detail except aninfection. :sigh (It was a bit slow going, mycomputer kept eating the posts!)

But here's what I came up with. (A number of articles and threads mention various drugs):

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15631&forum_id=10

Check it out. Sorry for forgetting to post it (the last step) in here. :craziness

Hope Cocoa is okay!

sas

Could it be possible that it wasn't a seizurebut his airway was temporily blocked with snot when he sneezed? Theflicking paws/tossing head and trying to escape could of been a panicbecause he couldn't breath in.

Just a thought :) Definately a good idea to discuss what happened with the vet though :)

Tam

I'm sure you know this already - but definitelymention the sneezing to the vet along with the convulsion. Also - wasthere any discharge? Clear? White? Make sure to mention that too.

Hope everything is ok with your bunny.

Peg

tamsin wrote:
Could it be possible that it wasn't a seizure but his airwaywas temporily blocked with snot when he sneezed? The flickingpaws/tossing head and trying to escape could of been a panic because hecouldn't breath in.

Just a thought :) Definately a good idea to discuss what happened with the vet though :)

Tam

Good point Tamsin!

Pam

That's probably the problem. I've seenanimals have seizures and they usually fall down or crouch down totheir knees and curl up and the whole body shakes. I set up Bun-Bun'svaporizer for him to use, and he liked it just like Bun-Bun. He likessniffing the steam. It must feel good to his nose.So, this what I can do before I can him to the vet onwensday. I'm getting around $310 on Monday!! Great side-job thisweekend - painting a house and I will be selling some of my art work toan art teacher.
Who knows, I could get an appointment for Bun aswell. I'm thinkin that Bun most likely passed the sneezing to Cocoa.Even though Bun-Bun rarely sneezes - I should still get him an examjust for any thing wrong. My Rabbit Savvy, Dr. Kittermen, said thatprolonged Respatory Infections some times can't be treated - but I'mkeepin my fingers crossed.
One thing I've noticed when Bunnies sneeze, they put their hands overtheir nose. Is that some kinda problem, or their trying to whipe upboogies? I don't know why they do that - but I find it cute. It's liketheir being polite.

tamsin wrote:
Could it be possible that itwasn't a seizure but his airway was temporily blocked with snot when hesneezed? The flicking paws/tossing head and trying to escape could ofbeen a panic because he couldn't breath in.

Tam

They wipe their noses with their paws ;) Often arabbit with a resp infection might have a clean nose but have dirtymatted fur on the inside of their front legs where they've wiped it.

The vet might take a swap of the discharge and use that to work outwhich antibiotic would be the best to fight the infection. That couldwork quicker than trying them all out to see which will work.

Tam

Back