Coccidea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbs

Reaction score
Batman has coccidea! Poor baby has hadwatery poo all day and just looks like he feels awful. He has a dose ofmeds in him and boy was that a task! He has to have his meds for 21days.

A few questions for you knowlegeable bunny lovers. How do buns getCoccidea? How contagious is it? What should I be doing besides givinghis meds, making sure he eats and drinks? I have him seperated formRobin right now, how long does this need to continue? Do I need tosterlize the cage at all? any other tips and advise anyone has would begreat!

Thanks guys/gals!

Oh man!! Coccidea is no fun!It is very contagious. I think just through feces, but I'mnot positive. Keep him separate from Robin until you havegiven all the meds. You really should clean the cage everyday and disinfect it. I know that's awful, but it's reallynecessary. Make sure he is drinking especially, diarrhea canlead to dehydration really quickly. And give him someNutrical.

A couple of questions for you: How old is he? If so, are theyboth from the same litter? If so, Robin probably has it too.What medicine did the vet put him on?

Jen

Babbs, I'm soooo sorry!

My chameleon Katannah had coccidia, and it is it NASTY to get rid of...

It took litterally months, and a few thousand dollars to get rid of it,now that's with a reptile, with rabbits, i'm not too sure of, BUT ifthey're not yet seperated, do it NOW! and you should take Robin in toget tested too...

As Jen has advised, MAKE sure you disinfect at least DAILY! Use astrong diinfectant like bleach and water, but rinse VERY VERY well.Also, if there is ANY wood in the cage, toys, flooring, etc. GET ITOUT! AND KEEP IT OUT!That's where they harbour!

I wish you the BEST of luck, and if there's ANY more questions just ask!

Monkeys!

It is spread through the feces.If one rabbit hascoccidia here they all get treated .many show people treat for it on aregular basis.I dont know what medicine your vet has him on but i wasadvised the medicine for coccidia was hard on the liver and my rabbitsget treated 5 days medicine and 5 days no medicine then 5 daysmedicine.I use Corid but there are other drugs for coccidia.bluebird

I have a queston (as a newbie)...if they wereliving in the same hutch and then one bun got sick, wouldn't the otherbun already have been exposed to it? :?:p

My rabbit, Cosmo, had coccidia when I first gothim....took him to the vet and gave him Albon...through a syringe for 5days...then wait 2 weeks...then 5 more days of meds...and then he wasnegative for coccidia..so he's doing fine now!! As long asit's treated, everything will be ok! Cosmo never had baddiarreah, just some excess cecal pellets. Coccidia is aparasite they get in their intestines...

Here is a website that I have found very useful....

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/coccidia.html

Hope everything works out!

-Vanessa

Albon is great stuff. I seems to getrid of the problem faster and better then anything else I'veseen. I've actually not used anything else on my animals orthe ones at either store I've managed, but I've heard stories.

I think reptiles are much harder to get rid of any problem. Ihave a bearded dragon who is actually going to the vet Saturday to betested for coccidea. I know he has it, so it's really futileto take him, but it's a new vet, so he won't just take my word for it.

Good luck.

Jen

Thanks to all that have responded. Sadly Batmanhas gone to play at The Rainbow Bridge. He took his journey sometimeearly Tuesday morning.

Jen, I seperated Robin after we got home from the vet visit. And on anormal basis due to my freakiness about being clean, I clean the cageat least twice a day and any other time I pass by and they have made amess. I have now thrown out all the toys and cleaned every surface withbeach water, then soapy water and then plain water. He had meds andsome saline at the hospital. I don't think they are from the samelitter but they have been together since before we even bought them. Onthe advise of the vet we are treatingRobin as a precautioneven though heis not showing signs. The meds is Albon. He wasalmost 10 weeks old. One question. The vet said to give it to Robin forthree days and then stop if he is not showing any signs by then. Isthis enough treatment?

Lyndsy, thanks for the tip about bleach water, the vet also reccomendedthis. All toys are out and cage is cleaned. Thanks for your support.

Vanessa, thanks for that link. It helped me to understand better. Fromthat information,Batman was infected pretty bad. It hurts mefor to have had to loose his precious short life for me to learn mylesson, any bunbuns I buy need vet checked as soon as I get them.

babbs wrote:
any bunbuns I buy need vet checked as soon as I get them.
VERY TRUE! I took Cosmo in with a stool sample about 2 hoursafter I got him! He was diagnosed and treated before thesituation got too bad....it's always best to catch these thingsearly...I'm so sorry it was too late for Batman....he will be missed

-Vanessa

So sorry to hear that the little guy died :(

Most rabbits normally show a low intestinal cocci count.

Intestinal cocci overgrowth is often preceded by a viral infection --In these cases, the high cocci count is a secondary infection-- not the initial cause of illness.

Pam

Latest posts

Back