Coats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson_is_mine

Reaction score
The foster girls (Big One and Little One, known as Shirely and Marlene on petfinder) live in our finished basement. And although it's heated, it does stay quite cool in the winter. It's usually in the mid 60s to low 70s. It's fine for the girls now, since their jersey woolies and therefore very hairy. Durring the summer, I usually keep them clipped because it's easy and to keep them cooler, but since it was winter, I was going to grow it out (which I did). I love their coats long. The problem is, even though I brush them often, they still get matted. I was thinking that with the holidays coming up along with finals I would have even less tiem for grooming than I already do, so I wanted to clip them for over the holidays. The probelm is, I think it will be too cold for them down there with such little hairs. So then I thought about the sweaters that little fifi dogs wear (not that all dogs with sweaters are fifi. My pit mix has a lands end dog coat thing cause he has such thing fur) and if I could find ones the right size, that the girls could wear them. I would of course see if they started eating them or something, and do my best to get it in a natrual fabric or at least fleece, but do you think that they would even stand for it? Has anyone tried anything like this before or known anyone who has?

Thanks!

Jordan and the girls.

To be honest,I really don't think it would work. Rabbits don't usually appreciate any kind of clothing, LOL. Plus with a rabbit's shape and way of moving, it's very difficult to find any "outfit" that will stay on them. They might get tangled up in it and get very frightened, or even injure themselves.

How often do you brush them? If you do it once a week, that should keep them mat free. I have only ever had one JW, but I haven't really had any problem with her getting matted.

Even more likely, imo is that the bunnies will simply chew off their "sweaters" and then chew them to pieces once they are off. Maybe a safe portable electric heater instead?

I never thought of them getting tangled in it! Good thinking. I guess they just won't get clipped again until the summer. I brush them about once a week, sometimes more. They get a lots of mats on their lower back, above their tail because I think it's hard for them to groom back there and they usually have little patience for being brushed there because the brush gets caught up in the mats.

i have no idea if you can put a fifi coat on a bunny. but i was wondering if you're close to me. I live in Whitehall, PA. A couple of my patients at work are from exton,pa so it can't be too far from me.

purplepeacock- if this is the same "Whitehall" I'm thinking of I think you're only a couple miles from me. What county is this??

Ok- I just looked it up and there are...well... a FEW "Whitehall"'s in PA..lol!!!!

i'm in lehigh county. so right on the boarder of allentown and whitehall. but i looked up exton on mapquest and i think you're about and hour south of me. are you close to king of prussia?

I've heard of Whitehall! I'm so excited. Do you want two more?

I went on youtube last night and search "rabbits in clothes" and a whole bunch of stuff came up. Some of them were wearing sporty little coats but some of them were stupid little dresses. I felt bad for them. I might just try one out with their fur coats long to see how they react to it. If they don't freak out, I will consider clipping their coats. I saw a pair of rabbits that had a coat that was held on by thier legs, and not around their neck at all, so if I could find a pair like that I wouldn't worry about them choking themselves or anything. I would probably do the space heater thing for a little bit while they had their coats off to have a break and groom their backs. I'm still thinking about it. I just don't know.

i'm actually looking to get one more.....female......in a few months when lif's hormones wear off...lol...he was fixed in november. plus i just redid his nic cage and love the setup and after reading about bonding i think i'd probably have to redo the whole thing. i just don't have the energy to do that right now....lol.... but i think he needs a friend. and i'm hoping to get another lop. i'm a sucker for floppy ears!

I'm about fifteen minutes from king of prussia, actually. I'm starting to look for a female, too. Well, half look. I know that I want to have Nelson bonded before I go to college in the fall (go IUP), which my mom brought up, actually (and she said no more rabbits). He lives in my room and although my mom and sister will care for him while I'm gone, he's not going to have as much attention, so we think having a friend will do him good. She wants to bond the girls to him, but I don't think a trio is really something that I could have the space for when I move into an apartment in two years, and I've never really thought of them as mine, always someone else's, which makes me think that they are meant to belong to someone else. So anyway...yeah.

one of my good frineds went to IUP. she loved it. she's still paying off her loans....lol....probably be paying them til the day she dies! i just have this fear that if i get a female and i they don't bond what would i do......i know doug would agree to another bun IF they could be housed together but with one giant nic cage there is no way he'll agree to another giant cage too. so i'll have to think on it more. i think lif really wants a friend though...........

Back