clumps under eyes on lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelejc7

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site, and have just registered our lionhead, she is about 11 wks old, and she is getting a hard build up in fur under corner of each eye. I do not see her eyes watering or any type of discharge. Not sure if this is just a grooming issue with her long hair or something else. I decided to cut the clumps off today, but mostly was able to pick it out of her fur, she is very calm and good about being handled and we brush her a lot to get her use to it. I figure I would check here before wasting money on a vet. She is eating great, and urine and stool is normal, so she doesn't appear sick.

I had a lionhead who always got clumps under her eyes. Apparently her eyes would tear up a little sometimes and she wasn't able to wash it off well because she had a VERY fluffy head. She also tended to get knots behind her ears. Lionheads can require a lot of grooming.

As long as her eyes and nose don't have a noticeable discharge, she should be fine. If you can't gently pull the clumps off, carefully trimming them off is good - just be careful not to nick the skin.

Hi, I'm new to this site, and have just registered our lionhead, she is about 11 wks old, and she is getting a hard build up in fur under corner of each eye. I do not see her eyes watering or any type of discharge. Not sure if this is just a grooming issue with her long hair or something else. I decided to cut the clumps off today, but mostly was able to pick it out of her fur, she is very calm and good about being handled and we brush her a lot to get her use to it. I figure I would check here before wasting money on a vet. She is eating great, and urine and stool is normal, so she doesn't appear sick.
--two things come to mind,---plugged up tear ducts and dental problems,--the problem doesn,t sound serious now,but keep her on a good grass diet and watch the tearing,,--using a wet/damp warm cloth the area can be maintained,--sincerely james waller:rose:

It is probably just a feature of the breed--flat-faced bunnies can get tear duct issues--but it is worth having checked out in case there is an infection or tooth problem.

Latest posts

Back