Clumps of hair coming off bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charade

Reaction score
I just noticed my little guy has a line of missing hair on his back and the hair around it comes out really easy as well.

I've not noticed anything else wrong with him. He's been acting the same.

He sheds but it never seemed to come out this easy before!

Is there any dandruff or flaky skin attached to the fur? How does the skin look? Dry and flaky or smooth and normal? (Sorry, please refresh my memory, what breed is your little guy? And how old?)

It looks like there is smaller hair underneath the area where the hair has come off. You can't really see the skin, thereare a still really short, really tiny hairs.

He's around three.

I'm not too sure what kind of rabbit he is but he looks like this:

n503891862_108610_1252.jpg

He never gets sick! This is troubling!

probably just normal shedding. Tony's fur comes off in clumps all the time. have you had him long?

Two and a half years.Maybe it is just shedding but it's never come off quite as easy and in such large chunks. Again though, there's no real change in his behaviour. Same routine as usual.

I have to run ot work soon but tomorrow morning maybe I'll take a picture and everyone can get a better idea of what it looks like.

If there is already new hair coming in underneath, I'd call it a normal shed, just a lot at one time. Seems like a lot of bunnies are having shedding issues this year.

I would guess it's just normal, but since you've had him for so long and never seen this kind of shed before, I'm not sure. Pics would help.

How does the skin look? Is it red and/or flaky? If not, don't worry much...it's more than likely just a bad shed/moult.

There are buns who lose that much fur in a moult.

Have you had a big temperature change there recently?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Well today was a record high for Toronto in January after a pretty harsh cold-spell! But he's kept indoors.

As long as the skin underneith is normal (not red) and there is no flaky skin, I'd say he's probably just shedding. My Latte sheds like CRAZY during temp changes. You'd think he'd be bald by the end!

Interesting. Yeah he's totally fine I think and today continued the incredible hot streak in Toronto.

It's quite incredible how even a little loss of fur can show you how much weight it adds to them. Like cats or dogs when they get their hair cut.

Even inside bunnies can "sense" the weather somehow - at least that's my experience with them and my dog and cat!

Bo was finished molting and we got a warm spell too - I have a feeling he's going to shed out again! it's turned cold yet again!

Our vet said that she has seen the strangest molts this year! They seem heavy or something.

btw - he's SO cute!

Back