Clumping fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabb1tmad

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We have been nail clipping today - not easy with our two little wrigglers but they had a nice treat when it was all over. I have noticed something with Laceys fur before but it seems to be getting worse.

At the side of her feet she was growing fur that was all clumped together. It is always clean and has never contained any bedding, dirt,urine or poop it just seems to be the way the fur grows. Well anyway, we regularly trim it down in the hope that it won't clump but it always come back the same. As we clip the nails while the rabbits are in a trance I take the opportunity to do a thorough check on them. Today I noticed that Lacey has the same fur clumping on the bottom of her feet and at either side of her tail. It was really hard to trim as it felt just like the tail and I could barely tell the difference between her flesh and bone and the clump. It looks like it must be a little uncomfortable when she is walking although she never has any trouble running or walking around. I cut it with no accidents but I was just wondering if anyone has had a rabbit with this before. Lacey is an Agouti mini lop. Her fur is quite thick and she has loads of it. I couldn't take photos as you just wouldn't see what I am seeing on a photograph. It's hard to explain but I hope someone knows what I am talking about so they can help me understand why it's happening. Thanks :)

Matts need to be removed because they can harbor mites, moisture, bacteria, and fungus as well as create discomfort.

Pam

Yep Pam, that is a really important thing to point out. But don't worry, we always remove the clumps regularly before they get too big to become intrusive or uncomfortable but I just wondered why it was happening and getting worse and if there is anything we can do to prevent it.

Keeping the fur trimmed can help to prevent matting. Regular brushing also helps. If they are lops - they do have a bit of a woolier coat that can matt easily.

Pam

OK. That is pretty much what I'm doing so I guess I can only do it more frequently. I don't brush her feet but I do 'massage' her fur with my hands to ease out the matts. Iam worried about hurting her with the brush - are rabbits feet any more sensitive than other areas of their body?

I didn't know that about lops but I do love their soft cuddly fur :)

Back