Clipping nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniferdavidson

JudeFlemishGiant
Reaction score
So I want to trim my rabbits nails. In the past, we've always used small nail clippers. I know how far to trim them back to prevent bleeding and cutting the quick (she has irritating black nails, so it makes it harder!) but does anyone have any pointers or tips? I was going to have my mom hold her against her and I could just maneuver her toes around and trim them. Thanks!!!

I used to use the two person method, but my helper quit so now I use the method in this video:

http://rabbit.org/how-to-trim-your-rabbits-nails/

I've never used nail clippers though. I use little scissors like in the video. I got them in the small pet section of a pet supply store. They are also used for cats nails so can be found in the cat supply section too.

I just take a little off at a time. With black nails, I found that the nail gets smoother the closer you get to the quick, so that helps he gauge how close I am.

I see you are in Calgary. There is an event coming up on the 26th called Bunanza, it is a rabbit education event to benefit the Against All Odds Rabbit Rescue. I will be there doing grooming. You could bring your bun in for a nail trim. There will also be a vet doing check ups, and a photo booth.

Cool! I'll mark it down on the calendar!!! I've actually heard of the rescue before, I think. I must have seen it at one of the expos or something. And thanks everyone for your tips on the nail trimming!!!

Back