Clipping nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
I haven't owned a bunny for years, but when mysister told me that her friends rabbit was being neglected by herhusband's grandpa because she couldn't look after her anymore, I feltcompelled to take the bunny home.

I now have the problem that the nails on the front feet are far toolong, they're curling sideways and I can't imagine they're at allcomfortable for her. I have rabbit nail clippers, but she's still verynervous about being picked up and held, so I'm not really sure what'sthe best way to go about getting them clipped. I am pulling togethermoney to get her to the vest for a general checkup, vaccinations andspaying, but I don't want to wait that long to get the nails clipped asthey look really bad and she keeps getting droppings stuck on them.

Any advice? I'll take her to the vets and do it in stages if I need to,general checkup and nails trimmed ASAP and the rest as I get the moneyif I need to, but I would like to get her nails done myself if I can.Does anyone have any tips for holding a nervous bunny?

It's so much easier with two people aswell. One person holds the bunny tight against their bodywith her foot out (wrapped in a towel in need be), the other oneclips.

Make sure the light is really good, you don't want to have toreposition her because you can't see well enough. Thebrighter the better, you can tell where the quick is, etc.

Good luck and good on ya for taking her in!

sas

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try the towel thing tonight.

It's largely getting hold of her that's tricky too. She's a big rabbitand when she starts struggling then I can't help but let go of her. Idon't want her to hurt herself.

If you pick her up by scooping her back legs outfrom under her so your hand (and arm, with a big rabbit) is supportingher bum and lower back, when she kicks, she'll be kickingair. Just make sure you that you have the other hand on herchest and you draw her tight to your body quickly to be able to holdher against you when she twists. It takes a bit of practice.

Good luck again!

sas

Thanks for taking her in!

I definately agree with having a second person to help you.Fey and Sprite's nails were like that when we first got them, and theyweren't used to being handled. One person concentrated onkeeping the rabbit secure (which also helped calm them), while theother could concentrate fully on the nails. It was reallyhard to cut some of the nails because they had curled under and werenearly growing back into the foot.:?

I hold mine like a football (American football:)) while sitting. It's like cradling a baby, but their headis under my arm, so their eyes are covered.

This isalso a good position for cleaning anal scent glands or trimming butt fur.

Thanks for all your help, really. =)

Unfortuanely I'm just not comfortable enough to pick her up properly atthe moment, and the last time she jumped away from me she banged herhead on the side of the hutch. I just don't want her to get hurtanymore, so I'm booking her into the vets this time and hopefully bynext time we'll be more comfortable with each other so that I can do itmyself.

Don't worry, Hun...that's what I'll be doing,too. My girls are just now getting to the age where theirnails are growing long enough that they need trimming, and I'm REALLYnervous about it...enough so that they'll be going to the vet for theirfirst trim, so I can see it first-hand from a rabbit savvy vetherself. :)

I've read and researched and asked here, and I think the best way tolearn is to have the rabbit savvy vet show you and help youlearn. Hey...not bad for them also getting a check-up whilethey're there! :)

Back