Clipping my bunnies' nails.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiRa92

Reaction score
Every time I try to let my bunny out from his cage, his feet starts scratching me. It's really hard to hold him in a cradling position on his back. How should I clip his nails when I have problems putting him in the right position? Is there any other way for me to clip his nails?

Arrrggg I hate nails!!! Haha... I've heard you can wrap them in a towel / stick them into the sleeve of a baggy shirt and then they'll relax a little. (Or maybe it's just cuz they can't move hah.)

Apparently it really helps having someone help you out. When I go to the vet they have a girl holding him and playing with his ears to try to calm him down, and one holding his feet and doing the clipping. Honestly, I just take Buster to the vet to get them done to avoid the headache. I tried clipping him once and he freaked out (I think I got too close to the quick?) and I haven't tried it since. It broke my heart that I hurt him! It costs ms $17 every time which will add up, but until he's REALLY comfortable with me I don't want to risk him hating me.

I cant flip over Oreo.. she'll scratch me to death.. so it takes 2 to trim her nails.

I have hubby hold her belly down on a piece of carpet so she feels secure and I just cut her nails that way. Its easier and less stressful for all involved.

Bugsy on the other hand.. i flip him on his back in my lap and cut away! he's so awesome :)

With my bunnies I do not flip them over to do nail trimmings. (Even though they WILL let me). I grab 1 foot at a time and pick it up, clip the nails and then set the food down. This is how I do the front feet. The back feet are a little bit more tricky but not much. I grab a back foot and bent it backwords (dont worry it does not hurt the rabbits). I then clip the nails. In total it takes me under 5 miunutes to clip all of the nails on my rabbits feet.

Latest posts

Back