Clicker Training...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Hey! I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but oh well.

Okay, so I really want to start clicker training Phinn. He has so much energy and is so smart that I think he would really benefit from it.

2 things.

Where can I get a clicker?

and

Where can I get a really good step by step clicker training book for rabbits?

P.S. Feel free to share as many personal experiences you have also, I want as much info as possible :).

Thanks,
Silvie

When I first started working with Buddy, I got a normal clicker that is meant for dogs but he got scared everytime I clicked it. I ordered a couple of these clickers online:

I-click
The I-click works really well and it is much quieter.

When I started working with Buddy, I never used a book, I just made up some of my own tricks but this looks like a good book.
Clicker Training A Bunny

I'm sure Phinn will be great at it! It is pretty easy to clicker train! If you need help, you can ask me! Good luck!

Megan

I started Clicker Training Marley and she picked it up fast. I used just the regular dog clicker and she seems ok with it. I know they have them at petstores, like petsmart and petco.

I have't read any books or anything I just did a simply trick, standing up on her hind legs. I held the treat in front of her face and when she noticed it I lifted my hand up, when she was standing I'd say "Marley Up!" and then click and give the treat. :D Simply trick to show her that *click* means you did right ;)

You can purchase those clicker things at any petshop.. the ones at my local pet shop (PJS petcentre) have a variety.. starting with a basic one to a complicated one with these lights and stuff and they come with books. :) i also want to start clicker training bunbuns! sounds fun!:biggrin2:

I have a clicker and I tried training my bunnies but they don't understand it and this frustrates me SO bad! I want to train them, but every time I click the thing Im not sure what to do next. I think clickers are stupid devices, but hey that's my opinion.I just need some help on how to train them with it. So if any of you can help me what to do after I click that darn button then let me know.

Emily

As far as I understand, the first step is to make them determine the click sound with a treat.

So as they are doing, or very quickly after, click, and then give a treat.

Then you can start giving the treats every other trick, etc. Until you hardly need them

Atleas thats how I am going to aproach it, haha.

Thank you Leanne, that helped alot :).

Also, does anyone know how to 'discipline' through clicker training? As you may know, Phinn has some sort of behavior problems sometimes, and I read somewhere that clicker training them can stop biting etc?

Well, from my understanding, clicker training is strictly 'positive reinforcement'. It encourages good/desirable behavior, but does not punish or discourage bad behavior.

Your best bet with clicker training is to first stop the bad behavior and then redirect Phinn a reward her when she does something positive. Let's say she's biting:a sharp 'NO' or cry will startle her into stopping. At that point, redirect her to a good behavior (like chewing an apple stick, or tossing a toy). Then click and reward her with a treat.

Latest posts

Back