Clicker Training For Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score

[line]

[line]
There are rabbit rescue organizations and rabbit clubs and schools. One rabbit club in Canada meets once a week to practice agility and hurdle racing. The rabbits can play together and the owners can get new ideas for behaviors and tricks from each other.

This season's Clicker Expos, in Orlandoand SanDiego, offer a great course on bunny training. Clicking Critters: Cats, Rabbits, Birds, and Small Mammals, taught byKaren Pryor and Joan Orr, offers hands-off shaping practice with small pets to really develop your clicker skills. Click here to find out more.

I started doing this with Cookie and it wasstarting to work i think, but I found that he was becoming annoyed withit. Maybe I was doing it too much? I stopped aftera week or so, but I did see some changes.

Good Luck!

Nadia

Hey Nadia!

Did you use the regular clicker that is found in PETsMART? Or did you try one of those softer clickers, the i-Click?

Thanks!

Krick

That's incredible. I knew rabbits are smart, butI guess I never considered to what extent.:ponder:Hmm...Visions of my netherland dwarf fetching the paper... :D

Hey guys a little tip with clicker training, when starting out click = reward/treat do this for 5 minutes 3 times a day for 2 weeks, after this period of time your animal will associate that noise with something good... you then need to work out what behaviour it is you want you animal to do if her want her/him to go "home" lour the animal to that place, once they are in their home immediately click, treat after 2-4 days you can add a command, e.g home or crate. But training is exhausting for all animals, so 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day is plenty mental stimulation other wise they get confused and frustrated and very tired.

I had been working on clicker training Timmy before he passed and it was going well. I haven't tried with the new buns because I'm not sure how to go about clicker training rabbits in a bonded pair. Any suggestions?

I had been working on clicker training Timmy before he passed and it was going well. I haven't tried with the new buns because I'm not sure how to go about clicker training rabbits in a bonded pair. Any suggestions?

they will need to be trained separately as to not to confuse them of the concept, once both animals are working reliably on their own then I would introduce giving commands together.

(I say animals because I am only familiar with how clicker training works with dogs and the understanding involved, I have no idea if this is the same for a rabbit but I would assume so)

Yeah, I'm afraid that's the only real option. They don't spend much time outside of my bedroom (my roommates have other pets and they don't like the slippery floors in the rest of the house) so I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Yeah, I'm afraid that's the only real option. They don't spend much time outside of my bedroom (my roommates have other pets and they don't like the slippery floors in the rest of the house) so I'm not sure how feasible that is.

When I say seperate, I mean one in the cage and one on the floor working, they dont have to be in seperate parts of the house :). Concentrate on one bunny at a time.

When I say seperate, I mean one in the cage and one on the floor working, they dont have to be in seperate parts of the house :). Concentrate on one bunny at a time.

But if I have both bunnies trained so that the click is a reward, my concern is that I may unintentionally reward the other bunny for doing something I don't necessarily want it to do, you know?

Back