clear eye discharge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
Chernish is having a clear discharge from one of his eyes, it looks like tears. His fur is little wet under the eye.

What could it be and is it normal?

hmmmm is theremaybe a piece of hair inhis eye ? that would causeit to tear up some , trywiping his eye out with a little warmwater on a lint free cloth andsee if that helps ,

thanks, we just wiped his eye, I'll check tomorrow and see if its better. Maybe its one time thing.

I willkeep my fingers crossed ,hopefully it was just a stray pieceofhair or a small particleof dust..

his eye is not getting better, its still wet and the bottom looks little swallen.

I'll call monday for an appointment. Its not an emergency is it?

It's not an immediate emergency, but as you have already suspected, is not a normal condition.

There can be many causes of runny eyes, such as bacterial infection,blocked tear duct, entropian (defect in eyelid), or even misaligned teeth putting pressure on the sinus cavities.

It's important to treat eye problems because there is a risk of serious infection or damage to the eye.

Pam

Most commonly in pill form. If you getthe pills, ask the vet for a "pill popper" tool, which deposits thepill at the back of the mouth. Other forum members will alsohave some good suggestions for getting those pills down :)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Mostcommonly in pill form. If you get the pills, ask the vet fora "pill popper" tool, which deposits the pill at the back of themouth. Other forum members will also have some goodsuggestions for getting those pills down :)

Pam
thanks, I amagine it can be fun.

it could just be excess discharge like how humans tear for no reason

I am going to take him to the vet tonight. What should I ask the vet?

I'll ask him/her to weight the bunny, check eye, ears,teeth, for mites.

what should I ask relative to the eye?

2 of my buns have the same problem, the vetprescribed vetrachloracin ointment for their eyes and it has helpedsomewhat. My 2 lops are the ones that have the problem so Idon't know if they are more prone to this problem as my dutch dwarf andnetherland dwarf seem fine. I'm guessing that some rabbitsare just more prone to this problem.

Is it normal for rabbits to have a little bit of 'crust' or 'sleep' in the corner of their eyes?

Kricket wrote:
Isit normal for rabbits to have a little bit of 'crust' or 'sleep' in thecorner of their eyes?
I hope it's normal. :shock:

I clean bunnie eye crusties every day for all of my buns. It's part of our "quality time" :p

JimD wrote:
Kricket wrote:
Is it normalfor rabbits to have a little bit of 'crust' or 'sleep' in the corner oftheir eyes?
I hope it's normal. :shock:

I clean bunnie eye crusties every day for all of my buns. It's part of our "quality time" :p

:Dme too! They are especially crusty after digging in the dirt. Messy little buns. :p

a couple of weeks ago, one of my male buns hadsome weird goo in his eye so i removed it myself very carefully with aclean t-shirt and now he seems to be prancing around happier than usual.

zoecat6 wrote:
2of my buns have the same problem, the vet prescribed vetrachloracinointment for their eyes and it has helped somewhat. My 2 lopsare the ones that have the problem so I don't know if they are moreprone to this problem as my dutch dwarf and netherland dwarf seemfine. I'm guessing that some rabbits are just more prone tothis problem.
I have a dwarf for about half a year, he did nothave a problem before. Maybe its because of spring.

Back