Cleaning scent glands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
I need to clean my foster Oscar's scent glands. He is one week post-neuter. How long should I wait to clean them. I don't want to hurt him down there.

BabyBunnies wrote:
How and when do you have to clean their scent glands?

:?

Some rabbits never have to have their scent glands cleaned. Sparky and Scooter are almost five years old and I have never had to clean theirs. Other buns, however, will start to smell a bit "skunky" and you know it's cleaning time.

From rabbithaven.org:

To find these glands, lay the rabbit on its back or sit it on a counter with its back to you, holding its stomach with your left hand, gently use your fingers to separate the area directly adjacent to the genitals on each side. You will find a little "packet". In this pocket is a scent gland looking a lot like a pimple. A musky, waxy substance builds up in there. Sometimes it is white and flaky and other times it will be waxy and brown. If allowed to build up, it can cause an infection. At the least, it does not smell good. You should clean this area with a Q-Tip dipped in warm water. Gently wipe the area clean. There will be a small brown dot on the center of the gland that you will not be able to remove as this is the opening to the gland.

I dunno about the post-neuter part, but good luck to you! It's a pretty yucky job, but no worse than cleaning up poopy-butt, I'd say... I'd actually prefer it to nail trimming lol...

Someone here, I forget who, gave me the great tip of using a cotton bud (Q-Tip) dipped in a bit of baby oil- makes it a lot easier to get the gunk out, as sometimes the bud can sort of drag on the delicate skin, but baby oil makes is sooo much easier! :)

BabyBunnies wrote:
Do you still have to do it if the bun has been neutered?
Yup!

We do Barney's every 3-4 months, and he's neutered... some (lucky) people's bunnies don't seem to have a problem though... Mouse is the only one of ours who doesn't need doing that often! Chalk, Snowy and Barney all need it doing every 3-4 months or so... :?

I never really do Fiona's, I think I've done hers maybe twice. Bennett, being all boy, can get quite skunky. His glands get soo congested with the waxy brown smelly stuff. Blegh!! Like musky boogers :sofa:

Latest posts

Back