cleaning NIC panels?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
I was given 50 free NIC panels and I'm going to make a cage out of it but I don't know how to properly sterilize it (I dont know what they were used for before and i dont want to introduce anything to my bunny). Whats the best way to make sure the panels are safe for midas?

Thanks!

(p.s- I took him to the vet today for his post neuter check up and the Dr. said he is all back to normal :])

I'm sure a lot of people will be able to chime in here...
Are the NICs still coated in their kinda plasticized coating?
I've had success soaking mine in a strong vinegar solution (won't harm bunnies).

Any rust issue?

Congrats to Midas on a smooth operation and full recovery :D

The panels look brand new, no scratches in the covering, no rust. It looks like they were maybe used for actually shelves (imagine that!). I was going to soak them in a bleach/water solution to kill anything and then soak them in a plain water solution to make sure all the bleach is gone. I've never even thought about using vinegar as a cleaning solution :] Does it clean pretty well? --Thanks for the idea!!

I would definitely go vinegar over bleach.. I don't know how porous the plastic is, and would thus be hesitant to use bleach on something my bunny will inevitably tug at/gnaw on (don't ask me why they nibble metal... but they do:p)

I would get a 2.5 L pure vinegar (few bucks at grocery store), dump it in a laundry tub, and soak the panels for a few hours. I scrubbed mine down with a sponge. Then rinse.

Vinegar is a great all purpose cleaner for bunny messes. Kinda like Windex for me :D

ETA: Crazy things those non-bunny people use NICs for.. shelving. What a ludicrous idea! :p :D

I just finished building my first NIC cage :]

It's 3 panels by 3 panels and has two levels. I just need to figure out what the heck to use for a floor :/ I've heard of people using coroplast but I cannot find it anywhere

Could I use vinyl as the flooring? My neighbor is lays carpet and always has extra vinyl flooring laying around.

Any other ideas??

He is mostly litter box trained.. He likes to leave poo all over his cage, but thankfully he only pees in the litter box! Right now the floor is linoleum tiles but I'm getting free vinyl this weekend that I'm going to cover it with.

Sweet Sassy- Yeah I live really close to huber. How much were the sheets and how big? What was the place called? -if you dont mind answering :]

I will try to find the number. Its right behind target in Huber. I'll go look right now. I hope I can find it. I think I got 2 sheets for 25 dollars. The sheets are like 4X8 sheets.

I'm gonna go look right now, before I forget. :)

I can't find reciept. :grumpy:So... I looked onlineat the yellow pages.

I'm hoping this is the right place. It's called Accurate Signs. phone # 235-5652 address: 6050 Executive Blvd.

**Behind Target there is a chain of buildings on the side Target is on. about half way down or sois the place where I bought the coroplast. I just bought it like a month ago.

If it's not the right place, let me know I wouldn't mind driving by there and getting their phone number. I couldgo straight there, I just can't remember the name, Duh! Sorry. :)I go to Huber all the time. I do all my shopping there, so just let me know. :biggrin2:

Just a quick note on the bleach issue. I work for a friend who owns a breeding kennel. She raises several different dogs. We clean with bleach all thet time, we mop and spray out kennels daily. It is perfectly safe to use around animals as long as it is well diluted. You only need a capful for about a gallon of water or a tbs per gallon. Bleach is the safest disinfectant for use around animals and children. After it dries it evaperates and is completely gone from the surface. If you make a bleach solution in a spray bottle and have it capped it will be good for a few days, if it is in a bucket open to the air the bleach will have evaporated out within 24 hours and will need to be remade to be able to effectively disinfect. Bleach is usually listed on a survival list because if you do not have potable water available you can add a small amount of bleach to dirty water and make it drinkable. It has to be done in a certain way and let to sit for a specific time before drinking but it is perfectly safe. Sorry didn't mean to make this so long I just have seen so much on here about worrying about the safety of bleach. As long as you aren't throwing it on your bunnies it is fine to use as a disenfectant. It is better than using a comercial one. And vinegar does work but it leaves it's sent and taste behind for a long time.

Sweet Sassy- Thanks! I think I can find it, I'm always driving to Huber too (It's the closest walmart!) so I'll go investigate :]

Back