Cleaning hutch after Myxomitosis diagnoses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imarni

Reaction score
A lttle while back I posted about my rabbit that had to be put down due to myxomatisis, I am wanting to use the hutch and was wondering what I need to clean it with to ensure no other rabbits come in contact with it.

The Vet was a bit unsure and another Vet did say rabbits are very sensative to chemicals so any idea's what will be safe, it's been a good month since she died.

First of all I'm very sorry your rabbit died. :(

And I'm not sure but a vet nurse told me that myxo is spread through fleas, rather than direct contact. So if you clean it out completely, use a rabbit friendly disinfectant (can get them in pet shops) and maybe flea spray (you can get it for spraying around the house in pet shops, I'm not sure if it's safe for rabbits, so maybe use it and then rinse out the house). I'm not sure if that will be ok, but hopefully someone else can answer.

A 1:10 mixture of bleach in a well ventilated area is good for disinfecting the cage and harmless once dried.

OK thanks I will try the bleach, I suspected bleach might be the way to go,but then got worried after speaking to the 2nd Vet. We don't use chemicals much here is bleach something you can buy readily at the supermarket?

What do the vets use for disinfecting? Here the standard thing is Virkon. It's probably something different over there though.

As CiaraPatricia said the main spread is via blood sucking insects so a good clean out is the main thing. It's likely that it is active in the insect population in your area so the main thing will be keeping those out in future.

Virkon is used here in animal lab facilities, so if you could get your hands on that, it would be great for this purpose! I haven't seen it in stores, though!

Imarni wrote:
OK thanks I will try the bleach, I suspected bleach might be the way to go,but then got worried after speaking to the 2nd Vet. We don't use chemicals much here is bleach something you can buy readily at the supermarket?
We can get it easily here in the US at the grocer. You can use any household disinfectant.

Latest posts

Back