Cleaning Bunnies Feet.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, well my little boy Sampson had a blanket in his hutch, for him to lay on/play with, but no. He think it's a litter box. He would piddle and poo on it and then sit in it. So his paws are yellow. And he's a white bunny so the yellow shows up great. :DBut I've heard the vinger and water works, I've tried that no effect. They are starting to turn not so bright, but that has been like a month since I have taken the blanket out. So is there any other ways to clean their paws? Or just let the bunnies clean them over time?

Thanks.

~

Karlee

My Vet told me to clean my buns paws (when I got him he was homeless and had poo stuck thick on his paws) was to just use a pet shampoo and to keep pulling it off w/a wash rag.. I would think the stains would go away over time after he/she lives in a clean enviorment..

My bun still gets "dirty" paws when I let him outside to run around and it seems to take a couple off days for him to "clean" off the dust..

FallingStar wrote:
Well he is in a clean enviorment. He was wire flooring.

This is something that I've been curious about for a while. I've seen pictures and videos of bunnies with yellow paws and always wondered how they got that way because my bunnies have never had yellow paws. The only difference I could think of was the fact that I had mine on wire floors and other people were using solid floors with bedding...but then I'd see breeder bunnies on wire floors with yellow paws too.

Over time I've added carpet squares to the wire floors and even though my bunnies will poo on the carpet sometimes, their paws are still clean. So now I'm thinking it has more to do with litter box habits, maybe how they position themselves in the box and how often they sit in there.

You've stated yours got that way from being on a urine stained blanket, so I'm assuming his paws were clean before? If this is the case then I would say the big issue is time: letting him groom himself and letting the fur grow out. I've read somewhere else that cleaning them helps a little, but doesn't completely remove the yellow.

Sorry I don't have any advice on what product to use to clean the paws :?. Let us know how everything works out though!

Little Bay Poo: Yes, his feet are that colour from the stained blanket. But I removed the blanket, so now he has easy mats in his cage, so he isn't on the wire all the time. I think rabbits get yellow feet from sitting in their litter boxes/other items that have urine on them. But I think that if you have easy mats and other boards for them to sit on, the yellow might not happpen. But that's just what I think.

So I'm going to try the Pet Shampoo like Juliew said. Hopefully it will take some of the yellow colour away. So thanks everyone.

~

Karlee

I wouldn't use pet shampoo for feet...
just let it wear off over time.

Why stress him with washing his feet ..and some pet shampooos are not gentle enough for a bunny

Ok, I won't use Pet Shampoo then. Because I haven't yet.

And when I checked on the bunnies this morning he is really cleaning his feet, because the yellow isn't as bright as it was.

My white rabbit told me today that it is in style to have a yellowish tinge to your feet this year (if you are a rabbit)

So yellowish tinges are in....:D

angieluv wrote:
:apollo:right off the bunny runway

yellow feet are the rage.....but not dirty yellow

mellow ye:biggrin2:llow
LOL!

:bunnydance:

I have no tips on cleaning I'm afraid, but I just wanted to add that my bunnies had terrible yellow feet before they were litter trained. They basically used to cover the floors of their massive cage with pee and hop about in it :shock: They trained themselves about 2 months ago, and the yellow is fading quite a bit- it's still there some, and might always be, but it's loads better! :D

I'm surprised the vinagar didn't work for you. Maybe try mixing it a little stronger (less water.) My Floppy has a hip deformity and one leg turned out to the side so he gets constant leg washes. When I spray on the vinagar even before I wipe it with a dish rag I can see the yellow running off. It may be too that the longer it is on his feet the morethe stainsets in, I am usually very quick to wash him as soon as I see it. I mix it about 50/50 in a spray bottle and spray it directly on him. The spray bottle might scare some buns but Floppy is very used to it.

As for shampoo, Iwas told once I could use kitten shampoo but I have never tried it.

If a person has baby rabbits that are together and peeing all over maybe they could be placed in a cage with a bottom that is covered with an absorbent litter like aspen or pine pellets. I would try to prevent the "running in urine" rather than have to try to get it off.

I personally would not spray even diluted vinegar on a bun..way too harsh particularly if you are going to rub it off with a cloth.

I have at times (when giving a butt bath to Gabriel) adjusted the water temp to luke warm in the sink and run the water from the sink over his legs and butt.
This is something that needs to be done carefully as one has to be very careful to keep the water temp constant and the first few times it is scary to the rabbbit.

Then I place him in a towel and sometimes use a hair dryer on low for a very short time on him; he hates that. ....and once again I have to monitor the temp.

Vinegar and constant rubbing will irritate the skin.

Latest posts

Back