Clean rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pudysue

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to owing a rabbit. Her name isPudysue. I had her for about a year now and I was wondering what is theproper way to clean her. She is not litter trained and she is nowbeginning to have an odor. :( What can I do? Also, do youthink that it is to late to litter train her? Thanks for anyadvice. :)

Are you sure she's a she? what kind of odor? Most bunnies don't smell that I have seen.

The reason I asked if you are sure is that Bo started to have a smellsometimes when he was maturing. It sort of smells like onionand garlic or something like that. His vet said that boystend to use their scent glands more when they are maturing and that waswhy I was smelling it. He was using them on his poo ON meLOL.

Now and then I will notice the smell when he's been depositing presentson something he claims. He'll hop on me and I get a whiff andknow what's up LOL!

Have you put a litterbox in with her?

Pudysue wrote:
...I was wondering what is the proper way to cleanher. She is not litter trained and she is now beginning to have anodor. :( What can I do? Also, do you think that it is to lateto litter train her? Thanks for any advice. :)
Most rabbits are odorless. What are you attibuting the odorto? Is is the smell of her urine and/or poops? Isshe sitting in litter that is saturated with urine and poops, or isthere any fecal matter stuck to her fur?

Difficult to anwer your question(s) precisely if that kind ofinformation is not available. If you have to "clean" her, a little soapand water in a wash rag usually will suffice. It badlysoiled, you might dunk her rear end in warm, soapy water. Notadvisable to fully submerge rabbits in a bath, and rarely evernecessary. Be sure to adequately dry herafterwards. Some buns will stand for hair dryer on lowsetting. Bathing removes natural oils in the fur and shouldbe discouraged.

If the smell comes from soiled bedding, change same morefrequently. Our buns are on wire floors placedabout 1 1/2" above a paper lined tray below, so they don't have to sitin soiled bedding. Studies have suggested that buns preferwire floors over wooden floors or surfaces with beddingonthem.

Is she spayed? If not, she may be spraying urine about,leading to odorous surfaces that you can detect more readily.If she is not spayed, you might consider it in the interests of goodhealth, longevity, less sexually induced behaviors and/or frustrations.

Some poops, special ones called cecotrophes, tend to be moreodiforous. They are usually eaten by the buns, a natural andnecessary behavior for the bun's good health, but sometimes,ifthe diet is too rich, the bun may produce more than it canconsume. Cecotropes look like a dark cluster of minaturegrapes and emit a pungent smell that may account for yourconcern. In such a case, cut back on treats or other richfood you may be giving her.

Never to late to litter box train and, in fact, older buns usuallylearn more quickly than younger buns, who are "too busy" exploring lifeto concentrate on peeing in the right spot. Find the cornershe prefers to pee in and place the litter box there, perhaps, withsome urine soaked paper or bedding to convey the idea of this where sheshould go.

Don't use clumping cat litter, at risk of the bun's life, nor cedarshavings, which can cause pulmonary, respiratory, and skin conditions,some fatal. Many of us here use WoodyPet Professional AnimalBedding, which is a granulated wood-based litter that is safe,inexpensive, and very user friendly.

Welcome to the Forum! Others may have additional information to add.

Buck

Buck, your post made me think of something I haveseen. People putting bunnies in poorly vented containers forhousing (rubbermaid storage containers or fish tanks).... I think whenthey do that it's really a breeding ground for odor.

We have a rat in a tank, but it's got a nice screen over the top and wechange her bedding frequently. I cannot imagine having abunny in one. PEEEE U!

Buck Jones wrote:

Some poops, special ones called cecotrophes, tend to be moreodiforous. They are usually eaten by the buns, a natural andnecessary behavior for the bun's good health, but sometimes,ifthe diet is too rich, the bun may produce more than it canconsume. Cecotropes look like a dark cluster of minaturegrapes and emit a pungent smell that may account for yourconcern. In such a case, cut back on treats or other richfood you may be giving her.

Buck,

Thanks for that - Blade has beenpassingliterallydozens of these 'clusters' over the last two days,and Ken and my brother were commenting on the smell she had developed -she is inside with the wrigglies till they are older and had previouslynot smelled at all. I had been giving her spinach a lot as we boughttoo much, and our noses regretted it! I wondered if it was myfault......:?It was!

One night on hay alone and a small bowl of dried food and she was back to her fragrant self! :)

Lindsey x

Max is the same Lindsey, except I'm used to itwith her as she cannot eat veggies or anything like that coz she getsfar too many and stands on them... this resulted in sore hocks a fewmonths ago. She's been even worse since she's had the kitsthough! It's like sludge in the morning sometimes and she'sonly getting hay and pellets! The kits aren't old enough toeat them, so I'm cleaning most of them out to stop her gettingfilthy! :? Can't wait til they start eating them!

Good luck with your bunny Pudysue and welcome to the forum! :)

Ang xx

Is she a larger rabbit? The scentglands can have a rather "skunky" smell on the does. FrenchLop doesare the worst -- I've judged them during the hotweather and it can actually be rather stomach turning :p Youmight try checking the glands located on either side of thegenitals. You can clean out any waxy buildup gently with babyoil.

As Buck mentioned, it's difficult to give you a good answer withoutknowing more details on the situation, but I think the other postscovered it rather well.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Isshe a larger rabbit? The scent glands can have a rather"skunky" smell on the does. French Lop doesare theworst -- I've judged them during the hot weather and it can actually berather stomach turning :p You might try checking the glandslocated on either side of the genitals. You can clean out anywaxy buildup gently with baby oil.

As Buck mentioned, it's difficult to give you a good answer withoutknowing more details on the situation, but I think the other postscovered it rather well.

Pam
Oh, I never thought of the scent glands!

Everyone says skunky, but I think it's more of a garlicky, oniony, smell with a bit of skunk mixed in LOL!

Have you tried straight white vinegar?

I have some vinegar I put in an empty spraybottle. I just spritz it on, let it soak if the smell/mess is too bad,and wipe it off thoroughly. A couple treatments of that should do thetrick, and it shouldn't bother the bunnies.

What kind of litter/bedding do you use?I ran out of the litter I usually use and have been using wood chiptype bedding material that we had for our guinea pig (he passedaway). I wanted to get it used up but fond that it does notcontain the oder at all. I will be buying some new litter andjust saying forget it with the wood chips. It is not worththe smell.

Jen

Maggie's cage gets cleaned everyday but shesmells too...its kind of a weird smell like her shavings mixed withsomething else lol. She tends to have a wet bum a lot and I don't knowwhy, because she's not sitting in anything. Maybe she just pees onherself somehow?? I could never figure it out. I kinda figured maybemost bunnies smell lol. Though Peppy doesn't really stink...he justsmells like bunny :p

AnnaS wrote:
m.e. wrote:
Have you tried straight white vinegar?
Mixed with water?
would it affect bunny's smell?
Don't put it ON the bunny. Clean it's pan out this way.

Vinegar is a great cleaning product. Most tiles being usedfor showers and things can't take the harse cleaning products withoutbreaking down, getting dull, etc. The best thing touse? Spray the tile down with White vinegar and let it sit,wipe, and rinse.

Latest posts

Back