Classic Christmas present situation gone horribly wrong... Ready to give up... Help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmaple101

Reaction score
I've never been involved in this site besides a similar post a year or two ago, but I'm about ready to give up on my sister's rabbit.

My sister is 12 and she has a mini rex rabbit named Velvet. Velvet is a female rabbit, probably 5+ years old. I could probably find out exactly because we have certificates for her. We bought her from a breeder, she's purebred, she used to be used as a breeder by the last family who owned her. The family ran a large rabbit breeding operation, but we were assured when we bought her that Velvet lived with the family and was a very well-behaved, loving rabbit who would be picked up by the children and cuddled. I don't know whether or not she's been spayed; I tend to doubt it, since she was a breeder. Her "hormones" shouldn't be acting up too much since I think she's quite a bit older than the younger, teenage bunnies that can be so much trouble. I'd urge my parents to get her spayed but my mom and dad don't want to spend the money on a surgery for a rabbit and I don't think they understand why she needs to be spayed.

Anyway, despite what we were told by Velvet's past owners, for the three years we've owned her she's almost never willingly let us hold her. Sometimes if she's in a good mood and she has a carrot in front of her she'll let me pet her in her cage, but that's really rare. In general, she seems to me like a quite intelligent rabbit, though very timid and not bonded to our family at all.

She's had three cages since we bought her. One was a small, cramped metal cage with barred floors and an old food bin. This was the cage she came in when we bought her. The second was an enormous C&C cage I built for her about two years ago and a couple months after my sister got Velvet as a Christmas present. The cage was basically everything a rabbit could want (I could actually crawl inside to hang out with her) but one day I came home from school and my mom had dismantled it and replaced Velvet into her old cage. I'm still not entirely sure why she did this, but my mom says the cage was taking up too much room. She also thought the cage was too big, and Velvet and my sister weren't connecting well because Velvet had more than enough room to be antisocial... This doesn't really make much sense to me, but I couldn't really argue. Then recently, my mom bought Velvet another cage. It's a pretty typical rabbit cage, larger than the old metal one and with safer floors, but still pretty cramped for a rabbit Velvet's size. I wish we could reconstruct the old C&C cage but my mom threw out the coroplast.

Anyway, the cage is in the "den" of our house, where we keep my mom's computer, a TV, some video games, an air hockey table, and a large shelf of books. Obviously, this isn't a very good setup for a rabbit, with so many wires for her to chew on, but my family doesn't seem willing to put her anywhere else. My sister won't have her in her room because she thinks Velvet will keep her awake at night, my mom refuses to put Velvet anywhere else on the main floor of the house because she doesn't like the mess, and my sister doesn't want Velvet in the basement because she'd be too far away from the family (I agree with her there, but we might have more space for free time, so I'm not sure). Worse still is that my dad wants to put Velvet outside, which would basically mean the family could safely ignore Velvet for long periods of time except for when we have to feed her.

Velvet gets floor time about once a week, which I know isn't nearly enough. I've tried rabbit-proofing the den for her, but obviously there are wires everywhere, and my parents don't want to buy covers for them. Usually, she's only getting a chance outside her cage because the thing has to be cleaned. When Velvet gets floor time, she spends it making long, repetitive runs around the room, interspersed with wire-chewings and knocking over random objects. I've tried to minimize the things she can damage, but I can't successfully distract her because she has very little interest in people, toys, or food. Even parsley or raisins or carrots can only hold her attention for a few seconds. I don't think she's getting excess food because my sister is pretty consistent about feeding (Velvet doesn't get nearly enough hay, but at least she's got the other basics).

My sister, Beth, isn't very interested in her rabbit. Beth has a very short attention span and high energy levels, so nothing really interests her for long. She spends a lot of time outside and playing sports, so taking care of Velvet has become a chore for her. I've tried to motivate her to take care of her pet, but usually this only winds up frustrating her. I don't typically take care of any of Velvet's day-to-day needs, but since I'm the resident expert on small animals (I have three very well-behaved guinea pigs sharing my lap at this moment) I'm expected to solve any problems Beth has. This means I focus on socializing Velvet, but it also means I'm usually playing the "bad cop." I force Velvet back into her cage when she doesn't want to go in, scold her for chewing on wires, and hold her down when it's time to trim her nails. Basically, the rabbit hates me, and with good reason.

The thing is, I'm an extremely patient person and I try to take care of Velvet in the most gentle way possible. When everyone else has given up on getting Velvet back into her cage after a cleaning session, I sit in the room for hours on end patiently waiting for Velvet to go back in of her own accord. I've tried every vegetable in our refrigerator to entice her back into there, and I've sang music, read books, and showed her videos of other rabbits just to see if there's something that might calm her down. She still dislikes me, though.

I think part of it is Velvet's personality, as I could never imagine her as the cuddly type, but I know there's a lot we're doing wrong. I just want to know how I can remedy these things while navigating the tensions in my family. I would focus all my time on properly bonding to Velvet, but I know I'm not the good guy here. I already spend a lot of my free time with my cavies, and I'm a junior in high school, so I already have almost no free time as it is. My sister has much more time to take care of Velvet but almost no motivation. My parents do not view animals the same why I do, and to a certain extent neither does my sister.

Should we move Velvet into the basement? Is it worth it to spay her, and how could I convince my parents to do this? Even if I've spent a lot of time socializing her, is there anything more I can do to make her feel comfortable around me? To what extent is her fear of us her own personality, and to what extent is it our failure to take care of her? How can I motivate my younger sister to take care of her rabbit without making her feel upset or distraught? How can I get Velvet back into her cage after floor time? After three hours of waiting, I just now had to pick her up and force her into her cage, which I know is only making the problem worse.

My family is a classical example of a Christmas pet gone wrong. I'm here to testify that it's a bad, bad idea, but what advice do you all have for those families who do not heed the warnings? I'm about to give up on this rabbit.

If there is more room for her to stretch her legs and give her more running room in the basement, I would look into it.

Is there a light in your basement? Window?
Is the floor cement or dirt?
Is there anything else down there?

Imagine this. Would you be nice to the person who holds you captive in a small box? Never being able to stretch your legs? I would work on the housing issue first and then, if you can, decide to get her spayed. Giving her some room will make a world of difference to her personality. Don't expect her love right away, but she should warm up to you. Seems you are doing everything you can already. Get her some cardboard boxes and toilet paper rolls to keep her busy. Maybe a plush doll to keep her company?

Going outside would not be a good idea unless she was in an enclosed area. The fact that she is a mini would look like good dinner to many predators. If you can get her in the basement in the right conditions, she should slowly approve. Hopefully you can get your parents to go along with the idea. Tell your mom she'll get her space back in the den. =)

Hope this helps.

Hm. It'd be awfully lonely in the basement. Can't you house her where your guinea pigs live? Not in the same cage, of course, but close enough that she'd have some company and something to look at. It'd be quite easily to build a modest NIC grid cage to sit under most guinea pig cages. Also, hay is THE important basic. It's cheap and doesn't take much effort, just quickly chuck in a fresh handful of hay every evening and leave the pellets and water to your sister.

I would sit my mum and dad down for a Serious Talk if they really behaved the way you described. It's irresponsible to expect a 12 year old to assume full responsibility of a living creature that has so many social needs. It's even more irresponsible to actively reject the animal's needs that your child took the effort to provide for, just because you want more space to yourself. As THEY bought the bunny for their little kid, they as adults should at least be responsible for its basic wellbeing and medical needs. Isn't it rather embarrassing that your high school kid is way more responsible, empathetic and humane than you are.

Ugh. Sorry! It just boggles the mind.

Whether you spay or not is up to you, but I'd at least try to wrangle decent living conditions for her and a vet check-up to make sure she's healthy. And you'll be able to talk to a professional about whether spaying would improve her quality of life at her age.

I'm sure Velvet likes you, rabbits just dont like to be held or touched! Thats normal

Go whiskylollipop!! Well said. I ditto everything whiskylollipop said too. I was trying to be nice, but maybe the time for nice is over, no?

Don't feel bad though. It's not you, it's just that this situation is too common and it is sad to hear about a bunny being mistreated. You are doing what you can in an impossible situation. Thank god that bunny at least has you.

I think the age she is right now, it might not be safe or worthwhile to have her spayed. You could reuse the C&C grids to make an exercise pen attached to her current cage, then she could just go back to her cage on her own when she is ready instead of letting her free roam in a room and then having to catch her to get her back. If the basement would allow more space for that, try putting her down there and see how it goes. If your sister isn't spending time with Velvet anyway, then her opinion about the basement shouldn't matter so much.

My first rabbit was kind of like yours,he did not like people much or to be held and was taken in by an owner who lost interest in him quickly(my ex husband).I ended up assuming all of the care for him and attempting to fix what problems had already started...bunnies are prey animals so they are not going to be much of a cuddle type animal from what I have read though some are..they have a unique way of showing love to their humans.I agree first get her a place where she can be free safely with a little more space you might be surprised what a little more free time out will do to a pet's personality,being penned up all day equals penned up aggression. As for your parents try speaking with them and print off some information as proof to back up your arguements if you think spaying should be done.Explain to them or try to that socially an animal needs more than what your sister is providing to Velvet and something needs to change to help the rabbit's behavior before it gets so bad you can't handle it.There really is no such thing as a "bad animal" they are simply a product of their environment, behaviors are just their way of adapting to the way they are living or have lived be it good or bad.

We have taken in quite a few that were problematic over the years. Mostly it comes from lack of attention or the wrong kind of attention. Also, you have to know how a rabbit acts and thinks--you can't fault a bunny for being a bunny. Not an easy task even for an experienced person. If there are any rescue groups in you nearby area, I'd talk to them and get advice.

Kick has always been a bit on the grumpy and selfish side from time to time. She's learned not to misbehave in my presence but once my back is turned she'll do what she wants when she wants. Where there's treats around she'll snatch and run with them, not allowing Archie to share any. She wolfs her share of her food down and promptly forces her way into Archie's side of the food bowl even when her mouth is full. I started to hold her down to stop her taking more than her share and it's come to a stage now when I go to pet her she'll run away from me. Unfortunately it's part of her personality and she thinks she's the queen bee and should get more than her share. Spaying hasn't helped, it seems to be more of her age and her determination to dominate the pack even though Archie is roughly the same age. He's picking off her habits and persuing her for his share of the treats, but he's a bit dumb and he'll not notice her turn around and run off in the other direction with the treat hanging out of her mouth most the time, and if the treat is a bit large she'll dive for it, tries to grab it and run and it'll fall out of her mouth and she won't notice it's missing for a few seconds before turning around and trying to pull it in her direction and make another run with it. Eventually she'll munch on it pretty quickly with Archie until it's light enough to then race off with it. :p

As for picking her up it's not something she likes at all. Archie wasn't too fond of it himself and he tries to scurry off when I go to pick him up. I don't know how to calm him down to not think of being picked up is a bad thing, but he could be picking up off Kick's habits to struggle, scratch and bite me until she falls out of my arms. I have to be really quick to get her as low to the ground as possible before she drops out of my arms, races away, then cowers down with an angry look on her face and making a thump that can be heard from half a mile away.

Last edited:
It looks like you are the only one interested in Velvet, so therefore you are the only one who can make changes so she lives a healthier life... Hay makes up 80% of a rabbits diet, in fact if you fed Velvet hay and nothing else (no vegetables, no pellets) she would still be a healthy bunny because hay is so important for fibre, which functions their bodies and grass provides lots of calcium for strong bones. It also sounds like Velvet has no trust with Amy human so that very important to build... Start by offering her favourite food by hand daily and work up to stroking, then she will come out of her shell but patience is key. Good luck ;)

you have to think. scene you got her from a large rabbit breeder that the last owners would not have much time to hold her much. to me a friendly rabbit is one i can pick up without getting bit or scratched ( i only have 2 rabbits like that out of my 13)

I think the bottom line is, if the needs of the rabbit cannot be met, the humane thing to do would be rehome. It sounds like you want to provide all the right things but if your family isn't on your side, it's a losing battle in my honest opinion. Parents house, parents rules...whether they're right in their thinking or not. Best of luck:)

I think the bottom line is, if the needs of the rabbit cannot be met, the humane thing to do would be rehome. It sounds like you want to provide all the right things but if your family isn't on your side, it's a losing battle in my honest opinion. Parents house, parents rules...whether they're right in their thinking or not. Best of luck:)

I agree. What is the situation in your basement? Is it nice or would she be stuck alone in the dark all the time? I definitely agree that you should build her a bigger cage with some of the grids. I know that I would be pretty grumpy if I was stuck in a tiny little cage with hardly any time out. Ugh this whole situation blows my mind since it was your parents who got the bun for her in the first place. I personally think that although it is not your duty too, you are doing a good job trying to figure out the best for this bun.

Back