Clarification on "meat breeding" and this forum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I want to take a moment to address an issue that sometimes comes up - particularly here in the rabbitry.

As a forum - we welcome breeders of all kinds - we're here to help the inexperienced rabbit breeders, the experienced breeders - and even the "meat" breeders.

This does NOT mean that we allow discussions about meat breeding - but sometimes a person will mention it in their intro or in a thread...and a moderator will contact them and explain our stand. They're still welcome here to talk about raising rabbits - as long as they don't discuss their particular purposes for raising rabbits.

I recently saw a thread though where the responses to the person who originally posted were "out of line" with our additional forum policies. So I thought I would take a moment to post those policies for y'all here.

From our forum decorum recommendations:

Unacceptable Behavior (Subject toWarnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- the posting of obviously inflammatorytopics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs.animal rights attacks)

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

- 'advertising' or linking other forums or commercialventuresin posts (see Content Rulesfor advertising policies)

You can find the full listing here.

In the future - if you see someone refer to "meat breeding" - please just stay quiet and wait for a moderator to enter the discussion and do the moderating that is necessary.

As a final reminder - one of the rules I try to ask our members in this section to go by is....."If you can't say something nice....don't say anything at all."

To those who were quiet and waited for a moderator - thanks so much.

Remember - our policy is we will help any breeder and any rabbit - even meat rabbits....and the person was asking for help in avoiding mastitis.

To whom it may concern;

I just want to formally appologize to everyone. My statements while informative were out of line. I allowed my hot headed temper to get out of hand along with my mouth and it was unacceptable. I ask forgiveness of everyone I may have offended and offer my sincerest appologies.

I would also like to offer my appologies to maxysmummy (I hope this is correct) I understand your opinion and should have agreed to disagree instead of arguing. I also should have talked to you privately instead of bringing it onto the forum. I hope that we can agree to disagree and let by gones be by gones and move past this and be friends as weboth desprately love our rabbits.

I would also like to offermy appologies to fogcity, while I pmed you and offered my help, I should not have provoked a fight on your post. Beyond offering my help to you I should have kept my mouth shut and let a moderator handle it. But as it is I did notand my behavior was unacceptable and for that I sincerely appologize.

Last but certainly not least I would like to offer my appologies to the Moderators and Owner of the site. My statements were out of line and very unacceptable, especially since I have been warned before that raising rabits for meat is a touchy subject and isbetter not discussed. I should have known better, but I allowed my temper to get the best of me. I sincerely appologize for my behavior and promise to not repeat todays mistakes should the subject arise again.

Sincerely,

Crystal

It's easier to act impulsively than to wait until we've cooled down. I for one am guilty of that. Lol. We're all human. Just need to learn from it. I need a few lessons, I'm a slow learner... :p

:rose::hug2:

Crystal i was totally with u on ur posts,but i wasnt about to open my mouth ,,it always gets me in trouble.....i do understand that some people are meat breeders and they need RO too but it just hurts to think about what they do.....Crystal kudos to u for steppin up and apologizing.that took some danglers....:)

First of all I want to thank Peg for posting that and including the "forum rules". Your prospective is great, one that newcomers can/will respect:).

Thank you Crystal for understanding it all and thank you for that wonderful post here.:)

I did not see your posts in reference, don't want to. But that is what a mature person that doesn't agree w/ something does, bypass it. It goes on, certain things are ok here, and you have to decide for yourself, what you will tolerate in taking part in, that's all.;)

Oh, I want to add that Sas even regretted seeing something tonight, just an example of choices. Can't blame the person for posting if within guidelines and warnings...

to be honest, i think me saying that she should probably find another forum and adding in "boo hiss" were completely within reason.

does she not understand how many rabbit LOVERS would be disturbed to hear about how best to breed rabbits prime for murder and consumption?

I think her thread was far more disturbing to me and others than my "boo hiss" was to her.

maxysmummy wrote:
to be honest, i think me saying that she should probably find another forum and adding in "boo hiss" were completely within reason.

does she not understand how many rabbit LOVERS would be disturbed to hear about how best to breed rabbits prime for murder and consumption?

I think her thread was far more disturbing to me and others than my "boo hiss" was to her.
wasn't it removed? The best we can do is make guidelines, keep people in line, we're not babysitters, but if you point something out to us, we take care of it the best and most efficiently we can. But again, it's up to you to view certain things, I wouldn't. But maybe we need to revamp the guidelines.
:wink

whoops looks like i confused a few people...hm...i was with whoever was Booing and hissing...i have no idea what Crystal is apologizing for ..but kudos to u anyways for the professional apology..very big of you...

im out of here before i get in trouble....

Flash Gordon wrote:
whoops looks like i confused a few people...hm...i was with whoever was Booing and hissing...i have no idea what Crystal is apologizing for ..but kudos to u anyways for the professional apology..very big of you...

im out of here before i get in trouble....
maxymommy did the boo hissing.:p

Lol to be honest, I think the 'boo hiss' was perfectly within 'acceptable behaviour' except that the forum doesn't necessarily chase people off for breeding for meat ;)I actually had a good laugh and had meant to compliment you because you reacted in a way that was quite mild compared to how most would have reacted.

I think the issues were mostly with what followed after, being that it became more of an argument and really didn't help the original poster much. :)I have seen the mods acting very swiftly to reduce the arguing on the boards and I think that's probably what they were more focussed on as well as removing the original post so that it didn't cause further issues down the line.

I can imagine the original poster was PM'd and welcomed to the forum but asked that the 'meat' aspect be kept more toned down as to not make it harder for members to help. I don't think any of us get excited at the thought of meat rabbits but we do still want to help when we can so that rabbits don't suffer needlessly either way. :)I think it would be the same if a lab worker came to ask for advice. Personally, it's one of the reasons I came back to RO. It's something I strongly believe in.

Edited to add: I had meant to step in to say that meat breeders weren't necessarily banned from the forum but I couldn't work outthe forum rules since the 'meat rabbits' was under unacceptable behaviour. Maybe in the future, this can be somewhat further elaborated so members know more about the forum policies on the matter?

I like that Soph! Good post.;) I just tune out from the meat aspect, I don't even let it enter my mind, but I can comment and be like a country girl at the same time.:p

i know i'm a newcomer to the forum but i really do think that it should be in the rules that no meat breeding discussion should be allowed.

i mean, i came to this website, we have a 'rainbow bridge' section to mourn all rabbits that unfortunately do pass, there are cute pictures of bunnies everywhere and its hardly necessary, if you want to talk about meat breeding join an appropriate forum. it's not like anyone prys into anyone elses personal life, she could have simply asked the mastitis question without making reference to the fact the rabbits would soon be food. it should really be a Dont Ask Don't Tell policy... we all know what goes on, its just hurtful to see it plainly.

maxysmummy wrote:
i know i'm a newcomer to the forum but i really do think that it should be in the rules that no meat breeding discussion should be allowed.

i mean, i came to this website, we have a 'rainbow bridge' section to mourn all rabbits that unfortunately do pass, there are cute pictures of bunnies everywhere and its hardly necessary, if you want to talk about meat breeding join an appropriate forum. it's not like anyone prys into anyone elses personal life, she could have simply asked the mastitis question without making reference to the fact the rabbits would soon be food. it should really be a Dont Ask Don't Tell policy... we all know what goes on, its just hurtful to see it plainly.
Don't worry, I know, we understand you, it's all good.:p;)

I definately think clarification needs to be done. It's quite a grey area as said before so I think we need set rules specifically WHERE this talk will be allowed, if it is allowed.

Personally I don't see any problem with meat breeding rabbits. It's the same as any other meat industry. I will be getting pet chickens soon- doesn't mean I will stop eating chicken and lash out at anyone else who does and say they are sickening.

If someone doesn't like it then that's absolutely fair, but raising rabbits for meat is not evil nor is it sick...as long as the animals (like ALL meat animals) are raised in healthy, happy and humane conditions, then it's each to his own personal opinion on which animals are 'good' enough to be eaten. Rabbits are not 'better' than chickens as animals, so why is it okay to eat them and not rabbits?

I personally think we should all put our fiery efforts into sorting out the inhumane and dispicably cruel conditions that chickens and some pigs etc. are kept in, but that is just my own opinion.

I obviously understand the situation that on this site this is really for pet rabbits, so here the 'meat' talk might not be very appropriate- I am just saying in general to some of the comments I have seen.

Jen

Would it be possible to put a category on for those breeding for meat, where they could not only talk to each other, but those breeders who felt comfortable helping could go in and do so. Those who are uncomfortable with the topic could be asked to either refrain from entering that section, or be asked not to express opinions, much as those of us in the rabbitry/show category ask not to be judged and ridiculed for breeding when there are so many rabbits in shelters. :?

I chose to raise rabbits to love, to show, to help better the breeds, and for pets. I do not kill my rabbits, and hope that I am not put in a posistion where I have to. Although I understand that when you raise animals sometimes things happen where the most humane thing to do is to euthanize the animal. That being said, I do understand that meat rabbit breeding is a necessary "evil". People like rabbit meat, just as they like turkey, chicken, pig, cow. And yes, there are quite a few people who feel that pigs and chickens are such great pets that it is cruel to use them for food, but it is life. We don't always have to agree.

Just an opinion. Agree, disagree I won't be mad :big wink: Have a great week everyone.

Tiffany

Honestly? I don't even want to see the word 'm**t' on this forum.

And it is a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

Thanks to the Mods for their great posts, and thanks to the members for keeping the discussion reasonable and approaching it like grown ups. An Internet rarity. ;)

sas :bunnydance:

maxysmummy wrote:
I didn't see the posts or what went on, but I just wanted to add right here that while there may be exceptions out there, many/most people who are raising rabbits (for ANY purpose) also love their rabbits and put a lot of time and resources into their care. Just like you do for your pet bunnies.

I am sorry that you are offended by those who raise animals for consumption, but I hope that you will also recognize that this comment is equally as offensive to those breeders as their comments were to you. I agree that the majority of people on this forum are pet owners, so it would be disrespectful to have in-depth topics about rabbits for other uses. But since you are asking someone to respect your lifestyle with rabbits, please respect theirs as well. That way, we can all get along happily even if we are from different "hops of life".:)

Pipp wrote:
Honestly? I don't even want to see the word 'm**t' on this forum.

And it is a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

Thanks to the Mods for their great posts, and thanks to the members for keeping the discussion reasonable and approaching it like grown ups. An Internet rarity. ;)

sas :bunnydance:
That's fine. We just need some set rules. And we need some warnings before peple actually come ONTO the site. Because it's not fair that a meat breeder comes here 'rabbits online' just....about rabbits to anyone looking at it, that they come here and get attacked really. For having done nothing wrong.

What I would like to ask though, is that we would refuse help to those meat breeders who want to better the life of their meat rabbits? They are here to get help just as much as we are...but instead we will turn them away for the industry they are in, when we will all sit down with our christmas turkeys and not be disgusted because turkeys are living creatures to etc.

Just a thought really. Even though some people hate the rabbit meat industry (fair enough of course), surely you would want to better that industry for the sake of the rabbits even if it still exists?

Jen

My parents have always taught me that if i do something wrong that i should appologise. If i was not in the wrong i would not have appologised but as it is i was very in the wrong and i appologised. I have been told that a professional appology is always the best route to go. Imo it says so much more than just saying im sorry.
I just want to say again that i am sorry and will abide by the rules.
Crystal

Latest posts

Back