circling, rapid eye movement, tilted head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried holding her head, but it didn't really help. I have noticed that she likes to nap with her chin up on the little shelf, about 2 inches from the floor. I think that might help keep her head in place yet she can rest comfortably. I really hope each episode doesn't cause damage. At least she goes back to "normal" between the issues.

Thanks. She is such a very special girl, it is worth it. :happybunny:

I wanted to give an update on Becky because everyone here has been so wonderfully supportive. I continiued gentle massage and I'm dosing everybun in the house with ivomec once every 3 months as a preventative so nobun else will have to deal with EC *knock on wood* Becky is gaining weight and looking like her old self again, so I'm pretty sure she is in full remission at this point.

:pray: :eats: :nurse:

I have been working on bonding all 6 buns and having them play together in their playpen. She would get tilted and dizzy, so I tried scooting her out so when the boys got to running in circles after each other they wouldn't run over her (literally!). She got so mad! She bit and scratched at the door wanting back in with the rest of the buns, so I let her back in. She doesn't want to get left out of anything! She even got a few nips in herself when Panda was being a little too assertive (he declared himself king of the warren). My baby boo can take care of herself even if momma does get a little over protective.

:dude: :duel :group:

The past two nights she has been really cute and rambunctious when I went in to play with her. She will nose bonk me then run a few steps away and look over her shoulder. I give her a tickle then she comes hopping back for another nose bonk. I got the slinky out and she also likes to grab the end as she hopps away and let it go before she turns around to see it snap back. She plays with such joy!

:juggle :trio :sofa: :ph34r2

I got bold and picked her up. I was able to snuggle her for two minutes with no dizzyness! I didn't press my luck and put her back down, but each night I will be giving it a try to see how the damage is healing. I am so greatful that she is feeling better!

:yahoo::pinkbouce::party0002::pinkelepht::weee::clapping:

Thanks again to all of the supporters out there. It has been a long haul with her being sick since I got her late 2010, and particularly this last bout. It is all worth it to see her fat and happy again!

:bunnydance: :bunnyheart :rabbithop :bunny18 :happyrabbit: :happybunny:

Oh, Brandy, I am overjoyed to see this!!!!!! So happy for you and Becky. Dancing for joy!!! You worked for this and didn't give up and same goes for Becky!!! Just overjoyed!!!
:heartbeat::party0002::clapping::big kiss::hugsquish::yahoo::party0002::pinkelepht::singing::bunnydance::bunnyheart:party:

YAY for Ms. BECKIBunny! Glad to hear such a GREAT update on your little girl! It's so encouraging to hear stories of bunnies recovering from head tilt after hearing so many sad ones.
:woohoo:apollo:

Hello,

How are you doing?
It is nice to hear about your rabbit recovering.
My female Newzealand White rabbit is having tilt head since 3 days. She does not have anyother signs like discharge from ear but she isloosing her weight and is not able to move properly.
What treatment did you give that you got positive result? Please share your experience as I have many rabbit, so I m worried about them also.
Take care :)

Head tilt can also be caused by a parasite called e. cuniculi, so many vets will treat for both an ear infection and EC. Treatment is usually with an antibiotic like baytril for the infection( though something stronger like azithromycin may be needed), fenbendazole(20mg/kg once a day for 28 days) for the parasite, and metacam to bring down inflammation and provide pain relief.

Best thing would be to see a good rabbit vet.

http://www.woodward-vets.co.uk/RabbitsECuniculi.html

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. I hope he/she is doing better.

I know NOTHING about rabbit anatomy but i do know human anatomy. Im not sure if this applies to rabbits but: it looks like he or she is having trouble keeping her balance.
Im not sure if this applies to rabbits but humans have something called the Vestibular system in the inner ear canal. It is reponsible for our sense of balance and spacial orientation. If this area becomes affected by infection it gives us vertigo and throws us off balance. This could be what is going on with your rabbit.

I hope everything is improving, how is she/he doing now?

Latest posts

Back