Chronic large soft poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kr

Reaction score
I just acquired a 2 year old buck, (will be 3 yrs in August) on Friday. The person was desperate to find him a home that day and I just felt like I needed to take him. He has been fed Manna Pro PRO feed his whole life and has never been fed veggies. I also feed Manna Pro PRO so we haven't switched feeds. This rabbit has had chronic soft poops ever since he was a baby. For 2 years they have dealt with the issue and have kept him fairly clean (still a little bit of stool on his hair/leg areas though). Should I worry about this? It's not diarrhea, but it's not the hard little balls either...it's more like really large, soft, lightly formed poop. He drinks, eats, binkies just fine.;)

Any adult rabbit's diet should be primarily a good quality grass typehay of different varieties...timothy, oat, brome meadow or orchard grass.
if you cannot get a variety then timothy hay is a good choice. Alfalfa is fed only to youngsters because of its high protein and calcium content.

pellets should be a very small part of the diet and should not be free fed.

Certain Veggiescan also be part of the diet in moderation. /smaller amounts

Do you know this rabbits's previous diet?. Any changes to the diet should be made very slowly as any rapid changes..even for the better can cause gastric distress if done too quickly.
For now start adding a good quality hay to the diet and cut back SOMEWHAT on the pellets. No veggies right now
I would need to look up Manna Pro Pro but would guess that it is a high protein feed ..if so this type of food is just not necessary for a pet rabbit. a High protein diet can wreack havoc on the GI tract

Thanks Angie! His previous diet was just Manna Pro feed I believe. I am giving him 1/3 cup of feed(He's 2.5 pounds) and handful of timothy hay daily...will probably switch to orchard grass hay today. Might send a stool sample to the vet on Monday too...just to be sure it's diet?

Latest posts

Back