Choppy's Ill for the first time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gezabella09

Reaction score
Hiya,

So my little Choppy has been feeling under the weather for a bit.
- Weepy eyes
- Sneezing
( we managed to sort his poop out buy treating the little bugger to the expensive food which he has taken to very well - expensive taste just like his Mummy!)

We went to the vet today (and he didn't thump one) and they have given his medicine
We have:
Fucithalmic Vet (Eye Drops) twice a day for 7 days
Baytril 2.5% Oral x7.0 .5ml twice a day for 7 days

The vet said his his tear ducts weren't blocked by the weeping and that his chest was clear. She thinks it is a very mild upper respiratory tract infection and a slight eye infection!

Do you all think the vet has done right?
She said we need to give him a week and if he's not looking better to go back after the week.

Got a shock when i had to pay! £45.00! My first bigish vet bill for the baby and I have a feeling it won't be the last time! But I would pay millions to have my little fur ball feeling better!:inlove:

Gezabella09 wrote:
Hiya,

So my little Choppy has been feeling under the weather for a bit.
- Weepy eyes
- Sneezing
( we managed to sort his poop out buy treating the little bugger to the expensive food which he has taken to very well - expensive taste just like his Mummy!)

We went to the vet today (and he didn't thump one) and they have given his medicine
We have:
Fucithalmic Vet (Eye Drops) twice a day for 7 days
Baytril 2.5% Oral x7.0 .5ml twice a day for 7 days

The vet said his his tear ducts weren't blocked by the weeping and that his chest was clear. She thinks it is a very mild upper respiratory tract infection and a slight eye infection!

Do you all think the vet has done right?
She said we need to give him a week and if he's not looking better to go back after the week.

Got a shock when i had to pay! £45.00! My first bigish vet bill for the baby and I have a feeling it won't be the last time! But I would pay millions to have my little fur ball feeling better!:inlove:
checking on the vet,,eh...well,lets start with a nasal culture and facial radiograghs,,-no you say,,well that,s why the vet gave you baytril--he,s guessing--and it may work--so follow the vets directions,,-unless symptoms of an allergy/upper resiratory infection flare up--but don,t wait to seek medical attention for lack of appetite-grasses/pellets,.water...pm me if needed sincerely james waller:wave::rose::pinkbouce:

How would I get him to take his anti biotics?
He is really not wanting them when I try to put them directly in his mouth - he is squirming so much I think he may hurt himself.
We have tried putting a bit in food but he is too clever for that!

What I did this morning was squirt the anti biotic onto my arm and then start tickling Chops back leg. As he is a licker he went straight to lick my arm as he normally does and i positioned it so he licked all the medicine off and he didn't even seem to notice.

Is this OK?

That's brilliant, in my opinion! I wouldn't have thought of that, probably since my guys don't lick me much, but it seems to work for Chop!

edit: wanted to add for future reference that this technique should be ok for all oral meds with the exception of chloramphenicol (which can cause toxicity in humans if absorbed through the skin) and buprenorphine (which has some transdermal absorption, and is an opioid that you shouldn't take unless you need it).

tonyshuman wrote:
That's brilliant, in my opinion! I wouldn't have thought of that, probably since my guys don't lick me much, but it seems to work for Chop!

edit: wanted to add for future reference that this technique should be ok for all oral meds with the exception of chloramphenicol (which can cause toxicity in humans if absorbed through the skin) and buprenorphine (which has some transdermal absorption, and is an opioid that you shouldn't take unless you need it).

Thanks for the advice about the toxic drugs- I was a bit worried about poisoning myself in an attempt to get him to take his medicine!

What do you all reckon about going into the vet after the week and playing dumb and saying I can't see an improvement to get some more antibiotics for him?

He does seem to be doing must better in himself - he is running round the place like he is a F1 driver! I don't the bugs lingering though and getting another hold of him as he looked so fed up with he had the sniffles!

Thanks again for all the advice
x
:highfive:

Triple post! If you hit the reply button too many times, it posts multiples.

I don't know if I would play dumb--the vet might just change the antibiotic and that wouldn't help! It would be best if you can convince the vet that a longer course is better. I'll post some links that can help:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

This one is very good: it's from a respected vet medicine sharing website, and it specifically says that they need at least 14 days of treatment. I'd print it out and bring it in!
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00294.htm

Back