Choosing pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwigbunny

Reaction score
I picked up Purina Fibre 3 when I first got my new bunny but I can't find it locally. Can anyone suggest some other brands that are good? I'm not sure if I can get oxbow either. I do have a petsmart and petco.

I am not sure what Petsmart or Petco carries as I get my pellets from Pet Supplies Plus. But I feed Oxbow Organic Rabbit. However, that won't help if your pet stores don't carry it. Hopefully someone will come along with some more suggestions.

Knowing where you live, country, state and/or city helps a lot. Some brands are not avaliable in all areas and they can vary from country to country.

The age, sex, breed, housing (indoor or outdoor), if your rabbit is spayed or neutered and any other info is also helpful. A breeding doe has different needs than a spayed house rabbit. Young rabbit have different needs than adult rabbits. Active rabbits are different from lazy rabbits.

For adult pet rabbits, a 14% protein and 18% or more fibre is good. Ideally, it should be timothy hay based, but since pellets only make up a small amount, an alfalfa pellets can be used. I tend to avoid pellets that have corn it in. Also avoid mixes that have seeds, nuts and other bits.

bigwigbunny wrote:
I picked up Purina Fibre 3 when I first got my new bunny but I can't find it locally. Can anyone suggest some other brands that are good? I'm not sure if I can get oxbow either. I do have a petsmart and petco.
purina rabbit chow..chow..sincerely james waller (quarter cup daily)

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Knowing where you live, country, state and/or city helps a lot. Some brands are not avaliable in all areas and they can vary from country to country.

The age, sex, breed, housing (indoor or outdoor), if your rabbit is spayed or neutered and any other info is also helpful. A breeding doe has different needs than a spayed house rabbit. Young rabbit have different needs than adult rabbits. Active rabbits are different from lazy rabbits.
Yes, please include your location in your profile.:) It will help us to help you find what you are needing. Thanks!

The amount of protein on that is too high for an adult pet rabbit. If you had to feed it, you would only need a little bit. It doesn't seem to be a horrible food, just too much protein for most rabbits and the fibre is a bit low.

If you are looking at foods you can get at PetsMart, you could go for the Kaytee Timothy Complete, Oxbow BB/T, or ZuPreem.

bigwigbunny wrote:
I'm located in Indianapolis. House rabbit, not breeding.

I have fed this before but wasn't sure about the quality

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753488
purina rabbit chow,,if you can get it,,,should not be pricey or laced with junk food..sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::pinkbouce:eek:r quality/lowfat/pellets quarter cup daily

I used to use Kaytee Timothy complete, and I liked it plus it was at Petsmart/PetCo.

Are you sure you don't have feed stores anywhere near you, or you can't have things shipped? Oxbow and Purina are good brands and they ship. :)

Back