Choking Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbitsmom

Reaction score
We have an adopter who is contacting us saying that her bunny eats her pellets so fast that she begins to choke and breath heavy with nasal discharge (clear) as well as the pellets coming out her nose.

This is the strangest thing I've ever heard of and just wonder if anyone knows #1 if bunnies can actually choke, because I've been told that they cannot. And #2, why is the pellets coming out of her nose?

Thanks!

I have heard of bunnies choking on pellets (rarely). Any animal can choke by having food go down the wrong tube. Having them come out her nose seems extreme! Bunnies can't vomit, so the pellets are not making it far into her throat before coming back through her nose.

I would recommend dumping the pellets on the floor and spreading them out, or even mixing them with hay, to slow her eating down.

It has happened to forum members before. I would recommend softening the pellets with water, or hand-feeding them. They also sell these treat-dispensing balls that the bunny has to roll around to get the treat out of, and it puts out just one or two at a time.

When I hadn't had her very long, my bunny Lulu had a choking scare. It was quite worrying, I didn't know if she would be alright in the morning but I couldn't do anything.

What had happened on this occasion was that I had let her out in the lounge room, and a few of my family members were around and were scaring her by reaching for her. She had a pellet in her mouth and was moving around fast I think.

So I guess one thing is to make sure when the bunny is fed pellets that she/he is calm and not moving around a lot that could cause problems.

Thank you ladies! These are all good suggestions that I will pass along to the adopter and hopefully she will calm down a bit when eating her pellets so the choking doesn't happen anymore! Have a great day!

Latest posts

Back