Chocolate Tort/ Lilac tort?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebop

Reaction score
What is the difference? I was told that my rabbit is a chocolate tort, but by another breeder that he is a lilac tort.
Then again while looking for a doe, someone said that they had a blue fawn, which I can't figure out what that one looks like..
Thanks for any help!

I know it was sort of a stupid question, but angora fur gets kind of lightish as it fluffs up and he did kind of lighten up.. I tried looking up angora color pictures and to tell you the truth, the colors looked the same. I guess he is a lilac tort.
Thanks for the pictures!

Lilac is the "dilute" version of chocolate and they will usually have gray eyes instead of brown eyes (one of the best ways to tell dilutes).

There is a good picture of a lilac tort on my does page. www.tcrabbitry.com TCR Cassie is a Lilac Tort. Chocolate Torts can look like Oranges. Their smutting can be hard to see. There is a difference between a chocolate and a lilac tort though. Chocolates have a light chocolate smut where the normal torts would have their black smut. Lilac Torts look a lot like Blue Torts, but are lighter. And have more of a dove gray look to them. They also have a pink over cast to them. Melinda

Also, their nails are required to be black right? I just noticed that all of his nails are white..

A lilac is a dillute... his nails shouldn't be white, but they can be lighter... like you see on blues and other dillutes. :D Melinda

I'm actually not sure what that would look like. I wanted to show him, but just found out about toenails. I didn't know that was so important! I feel kind of bad now, because I was looking for a show rabbit, but didn't know to check toenails!
Thanks!

dillutes tend to have lighter toenails. So they are dark, but not so dark as to be solid black. You can usually still see some of the quick though the nail. It almost makes them harder to clip than if they were completely black.

Yeah, his are not dark at all. They're clear. That really stinks. I was really excited to show him and possibly breed.

Aw. I'm sorry about the toenails. :( I have had breeders do things like that to me as well. Me being youth and all, you would expect them to tell whats right...

Well, I'm supposed to be paying the breeder off for him, but now that I realize he's pet quality, should I talk to her about it? I don't really know if she even knows that he wasn't show/breeder quality.

Can you post a picture of his nails for us to see?

I thought he looked like a lilac. With angoras the wool becomes lighter, so you look at their faces to see what color they are. Lilacs are a light gray with an almost purple tint. Chocolates are brown. They can be hard to tell sometimes.

this website has some good angora color pictures
http://www.bumblebeeacres.com/EnglishAngoraRabbits.htm

I just need to charge the battery a little first and I'll post a picture of his nails.
For sure I know he's a lilac tort now haha. His eyes are blue gray and he does look purplish.
>^.^

P7220189.jpg

P7220186.jpg

P7220183.jpg

Sorry the pictures stink.. the macro settings were being a butt. This is one of his feet.

Back