Chippy's having an off day- MOVED from trial board

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
JimD wrote:
I noticed Chippy started to eat less a couple of days ago.

This morning it didn't look like she had eaten much of her pellets or hay from last night.
She drank a normal amount.
No poops in her litter pan since last night, but she had peed.
She doesn't always poop in her pan, so she could be hiding them in one of the corners.

She ate all of her dried papaya this morning, and a few rolled oats.

She seems less active, but fidgety with digging, pawing, and grooming her blankie.

A bit more irritable, too.

Can a false pregnancy cause symptoms like this?

(She usually builds a nest, ....but I haven't seen that yet) :?

Tonight, I'll clean her cage so I can monitor if she's pooping (if she hasn't by the time I get home. I'll also let her have some freetime,....maybe the exercise will help.

Her pellets could be a little stale, too. I'll pick up new tomorrow....and start buying it in a smaller bag (I usually buy a 5 lb bag just for her.....but I think I'll start getting the 2 lb)

It figures she'd do this when the forum is moving....and just before a weekend, making a vet visit rather difficult. I'm hoping I find a litter pan FULL of poops when I get home.

:twitch:

BoTheBunny:

Jim, someone said something about how it's the season or beginning...... I think Flashy mentioned it.

Anyhow, I never really thought about it coming spring..... but mine are all acting off here and there. Bo built a big nest with his blankies.... Tony didn't eat as much this week, but devoured oats last night and is just fine...... Clover was actually NICE to Bo yesterday........

Keep your eyes open, maybe try to get some extra greens or something in her?

Give her a big nose rub from me.

angieluv wrote:

Maybe.... but so can gas

I would give her some simethicone

I have started to do this with my own rabbits when they seem "off"
in an indefinite way and most of the time it helps in other words they may have some GI upset without hard tummies etc.

naturestee1 wrote:
I've heard of false pregnancies putting rabbits off their food a bit. Can she/will she eat greens?

Hopefully she'll start eating again soon!

mouse_chalk wrote:

Oh no! Poor Chippy!

I will be hoping for a full litter pan as well when you get home :)

angieluv wrote:
What is the naturestee1 all about ? ;)

BoTheBunny wrote:

angieluv wrote: "Maybe.... but so can gas I would give her some simethicone "

Oh yeah! I always forget that because bo let's me know. He lays flat on his tummy with his goes on the ground - heals up!

JimD wrote:

I usually would pick some dandelion greens for her from the backyard....but it's all covered with snow and ice.
Good thing we've got the Farmer's Market down the street.
Maybe some flat parsley, too?
Depends on prices...... and cash on hand (which isn't too much)

I think I still have some simethicone. I'll have to check the exp. date. We've got a 24 hr CVS down the street in case I need to pick up more. Exercise usually works well for Chippy, too.

4 hours 'til I can go home....a very looooong 4 hours.

:twitch:

JimD wrote:
Chippy usually acts like she can't get comfortable when she has gas.
Streching out with froggy feet, shifting side to side, get up, lay down, etc.

I won't be taking any chances, though.

naturestee1 wrote:

angieluv wrote: "What is the naturestee1 all about ? ;)"

It wouldn't let me use Naturestee. Wierd.

Jim, can you get any mint at the farmer's market? (Yours has veggies in winter? No fair!)

BoTheBunny wrote:
Does she like mint? I think that sometimes helps their tummies... of course Bo would bite ME if I offered him mint.... :whatever:

JimD wrote:
They like to call it a Farmers Market, but it's really just a produce store...no farmers in there.;)

I'm sure they have mint....but it's pretty pricey......a few sprigs for $3 - $4.

A small package of basil cost me almost $5. :twitch:

JimD wrote:

I can't remember if Chippy will eat mint or not.

I may have to try the "are-you-gonna-bite-me?" test.

She bit me when I offered her a piece of fresh orange.... ....and bites are in order if I use Purell, too.
And I TOLD Chippy she wasn't allowed to get sick because the forum is down. You don't suppose she could be doing this just to give us something to do? ;)

tonyshuman wrote:

Sounds more like gas to me too. A dose or two of simethicone is pretty unlikely to cause harm.

BoTheBunny wrote:

LOL! I didn't even see someone else suggested mint! That's kinda funny cause I've never really been one to suggest it since it's not something mine like!

JimD wrote:

Mission Control....WE HAVE POOPS!!!!

She ate about half of her breakfast pellets and drank half of her water.

We also have a TOTALLY trashed cage/pen that looks likes there's been some monumental nest building...and dismantling.

And there's this majorly hormonal little fuzzbutt that someone left me in place of my sweet Chippy-gurl.

I think she's going to be just fine.

She does this every so often, and as soon as I get worried enough to treat her she shakes it off.

mouse_chalk wrote:

I'm so happy she's pooing! Maybe not so that she's 'moody' lol... But I'm glad she's better :)

JimD wrote:

Thanks!!

She can be as moody as she wants, as long as she keeps eating/drinking/pooping/peeing

BoTheBunny wrote:

She has PMBS...... Particularly Moody Bunny Syndrome! ;)

I'm glad she's good. I can understand the whole moody thing..... totally! :twitch:

pumpkinandwhiskersmom wrote:

I love the PMBS!!

I'm so glad that Chippy is ok. Around here, moody bunny girls are the norm!

angieluv wrote:

Good to hear, Jim, that's she's OK :)

BoTheBunny wrote:

I think Moody is cute! Unless they don't eat..... then it's scary!

JimD wrote:

Thanks for all of the thoughts and well wishes....
They worked!!

Chippy is mostly back to normal.

This morning I found she had fluffed BOTH of her blankies into a nest and filled it with hay.
No fur pluckings??
No fur pluckings!!
She usually plucks a good amount of fur when she does this. That's how I can tell that she having a false pregnancy. :twitch:

She literaly lept out of her nest and did a very enthusiastic breakfast dance!

Her lastnight's pellets and water were mostly gone...and the litter pan reflected that, too.

BoTheBunny wrote: "Unless they don't eat..... then it's scary!"

That's why this forum and it's family can be so important....
"scary" can be a reeeealy lonely place.
Sometimes all one's skills and knowledge can go right out the window in an intense situation.
Not that Chippy's thing was intense. But, the replies make you kind of get your "buns in a row"...aka thoughts in order.... and that's when you notice the other things you might have missed....like no fur plucking :cool:

Thanks to all for being here!

I've got a lot of errands and chores today....and at least one trashed cage to clean. I'll check in as often as I can

Latest posts

Back