chinchilla

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley Rose

Reaction score
Hello, I have a chinchilla doe that weighs in at 6lb 0.5oz, can anyone tell me if she is a american,standard or giant at this weight (she's not over weight) or perhap's some other?? I know a picture would be helpful but I cant get one small enough to attach to this site...

If you're referring to the BREED Chinchilla and not confusing a Chinchilla COLORED rabbit as the breed... then it would most likely be a Standard Chinchilla.

Sr. Bucks - 5-7 pounds, ideal weight is 6 pounds

Sr. Does -5 1/2 - 7 1/2 pounds, ideal weight is 6 1/2 pounds.

~Sunshine

Giant Chinchillas average about 15 pounds -- BIG rabbits :) None of the chin breeds are very common. Where did you get yours from?

Pam

She was given in at the local pet shop as a unwanted bunny. She may very well be a chinchilla colored something else??!!

Very possible. If there is anyway you can get a photo to me and find out her weight, it would be very helpful.

Pam

Looks like Haley may indeed have a Standard Chin (The smallest Chinchilla breed). The breed has had a recent surge in her state of Ohio, making it very likely that some ended up in pet stores. Here is more info in the reply to her email and photo that she sent me:

Note to Hayley: My email to you was bounced, so you didn't receive my reply.

Without papers, there's no way to know if she's actually a purebred, but she appears to meet the standard for the breed.

Her weight is within the proper range. (senior does 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 lbs.), and she appears to have the proper compact body type.

The ears should be no more than 5 inches long. They are measured by holding them in an upright position and placing a ruler between them.

The Standard Chins have more points on the coat than on body type, and I'd actually need to feel the coat and blow into it to evaluate the banding color. She does appear to have the proper rollback coat, but it looks a little harsh with a slight wave to it. (I had to reduce the size of the photo that Hayley sent me, so you won't see that detail in the photo that I posted here). When you run your hand over it the wrong way (starting from the rump), does it luxuriously roll back downinto position (desired) or does it remain upright?

If you blow into the coat, the base should appear dark, and the middle band should appear white. Her surface color appears a little light - but it may just be the flash.

Solid white spots, lack of the white intermediate band in the coat or extreme brown tinge in the intermediate band are all disqualifications.

She appears to have the correct length of fur. 1 1/4 inches long.

She looks very healthy and well cared for!

Here are some links to webpages with more info and website links on Standard Chins.
[url]http://www.rabbitandcavydirectory.com/Breed_Gallery/Standard_Chinchilla.htm[/url]
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/dixonsrabbitry/

Pam
http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Thank you for your help, Her coat right now is not at it's best she's still shedding her coat... Yes she is very health right know whenwe brought her home from the pet shop her ear's were almost clogged shut with mites but a trip to the vet fixed that all up and she's been as good a gold ever since...

WHAT!!! What kind of pet store let her get a bad case of ear mites?! The main pet store here in town is a good one, none of thier animals are ever unhealthy, so I am kinda shocked when I hear about things like this. How could they ever expect to sell any animals or even supplies if thier animals are sick?

it's a New pet shop with mostly kids working their, general knowledge there is nil!!! it's the person who dropped her off that makes me wonder??!!:mad:

I'm guessing my nd is chinchilla coloured? Is this a commoncolour amongst netherlands? I'm not sure if she is purebreed, but she has the dwarf gene and has pretty nice ears (although I doubt she is 'show quality').

Spring wrote:
I'm guessing my nd is chinchilla coloured? Is this a commoncolour amongst netherlands? I'm not sure if she is purebreed, but she has the dwarf gene and has pretty nice ears (although I doubt she is 'show quality').

Yes, her color is Chinchilla. It's a common color of Netherlands in the US.

Pam

Back