Chin scent gland, damp fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tero

Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed a damp and a bit crusty spot under my bunnys chin. It's quite far under chin and not visible normally, but I felt it with my fingers. My bunny usually won't let me touch there so I don't how long it's been like that. I've been able to see there quickly and there's no bald spot, but I haven't seen skin or it's condition. It doesn't seem to hurt when I touch the chin with my hands or with paper. I have checked that area with a paper towel several times every day over a week now. Only three times there has been a small drop of slightly yellowish (almost colorless) liquid on the towel after I gently pressed it against the chin. It doesn't smell. All the other times the paper towel has been dry. Chin is not damp after eating (and she eats a lot of hay and for long sessions many times a day!), so I don't believe it's drooling. That moisture under the chin feels a bit waxy. (edit: when those drops on the paper appeared, she didn't drink before that, so it's not water).

My bunny is 2 years old and spayed, but she's quite territorial and dominant and she "chins" a lot. One day I watched her chinning and it's exactly the same spot that is damp. Is it possible that the scent gland is the cause of that dampness? So, can this be normal or should I take her to the vet?

Last edited:
It’s not normal and she should be taken to a vet. Myself have never experienced a damp spot under the chin of my bunnies.

Hope it’s nothing serious and easy to fix 💕

If you are certain it's not damp from drool or from just having a drink, next thing I would be concerned about because of the location (under chin) and want to rule out is the possibility of a burst abscess linked to a dental infection. I would check carefully for a sticky or granulated white or yellowish substance to indicate this. Also check for a normal uninfected wound that could be from excess rubbing of the area.
Medirabbit (facial abscesses in rabbits )

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If you are certain it's not damp from drool or from just having a drink, next thing I would be concerned about because of the location (under chin) and want to rule out is the possibility of a burst abscess linked to a dental infection. I would check carefully for a sticky or granulated white or yellowish substance to indicate this. Also check for a normal uninfected wound that could be from excess rubbing of the area.
Medirabbit (facial abscesses in rabbits )

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Thank you! I'm 99% sure it's not drool or from drinking. She drinks from a bowl and chin gets wet and first I thought that's the reason, but she hasn't been drinking when I've tried the spot under chin with a paper towel and a small drop appeared.
I also thought about a burst abcess or a wound. I haven't seen or felt any sticky or granulated substance, but perhaps there is some kind of wound which is dripping occasionally (not every day though). I wouldn't say the spot under the chin is actually "wet", it's been more like damp and some times it feels totally dry. I've read that some active "chinners" release more secretion from their scent glands under the chin ja fur can be moist and matted. This is why I thought it might be the reason in this case.
I can look under the chin quickly and feel it with my hands, but I haven't managed to see the skin well because she won't let me work around that area for long. So, perhaps it's best to take her to the vet.

Latest posts

Back