Chickens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a flock of 7 chickens

one silver laced wyandotte hen "Carla"

one buff orpington hen"pumpkin"

two mille fleurs hens "lucy and penny"

two serama hens " rosie and no name"

one black silkie hen"theekie"

Happy easter to you too!

i want chicken! that would be fun!! LOL i'd prob. nameit Chicken fried Rice! LOL

Moo600, I was recently asked if I'dconsider adopting some chickens. I know nothing about chickens. Afteralot of consideration we decided we are going to be adopting them. I amcurrently reading all I can. I think they are giving us like 10 notsure yet.

Can't wait to see what Apollo thinks.

SLRabbits, I love silkies too. I saw them for the first timelsat summer at a fair. I'm hoping to get a few in August to show andbreed.

Tina

dang tina! LOL.. taking in liek 3 rabbits and like 10 chickens?! and i cant even get another fish! can i move in?! LOL

We've had around 30 chickens total, they all died off, and we are getting twelve more on tuesday. We will now have:

• one pony(lives off grounds of our property)
  • twelve chickens
  • two dogs
  • two rabbits (one is preggers(i palpated her today, she's definitly pregnant!))
  • three fish
  • one hamster
  • five cats(one is pregnant)
  • one cow (lives off grounds of our property)
Fun! Fun!

Dajeti, if you have ANY questions about chickens, i can help!

Ellie

Ellie, thank you so much. I have afeeling I will be contacting you. I am at the what to feed them stageat this point. Housing is no problem, I have an extra building forthat. Thank you so much for offering to help, that means alot, Iappreciate it,

Cinn, LOL I am going to soooo busy this whole year. If you go to Apollo's Acres, I'm going to post it all there.

Ellie, she's Pregnant? Congratulations!! Yeah! You have acow,aawwww. I want a cow but I can't have one here. You are solucky.

Tina

Thanks! Last time i palpated her stomach:shock:,that's why she wasn't pregnant! But, this time i palpated down towardsher "privates" and felt like four or so marbles....Yay!

Feed them Chick Starter, located at farm stores until they have fullfeathering and are completely full grown (if you're getting chicks)

If they are layers (most likely are) feed them Layer Mix. Oster Shellshelp them break down their food. Feed them another other "scr*p" thatis appropriate for the poutry palate.

If they arelike Cornish Rocks(meat breed), youcan'tkeep those, culling is best, or eating them. They willgrow too quickly, and eventually, if you let them live out thier lives,their legs will buckle.

Ellie

Would anyone happen to know if chickens carryanything that would be harmful to rabbits? The reason my aunt told me Icould not get one was because we had no enclosure for it. Well, I justfinished building a 25x25ft enclosure for the rabbits in which I wouldhouse them. However.. I don't know if that would be a good idea or not.:?

~Nichole

Chickens and rabbits carry many similar diseases, including lice, many chickens get lice.

An outdoor pen is not suitable for chickens, they need a place to sleepout of drafts, expecially when it's cold in the night, coyotes can getto them easier and it's a high risk they may fly out or escape. It'sbest to get a coop, where their food it protected from the weather andthey can brood easily.

Many people have them free-range, but, they still have a building they can brood in, rest in and get out of the weather.

Chickens will not lay in uncomfortable housing, a coop is a must.:?

Ellie

dajeti2 wrote:
Yeah! You have a cow,aawwww. I want a cow but Ican't have one here. You are so lucky.

Tina
Here's a picture of Queen, she's a Hereford:

Queen4.jpg

We have 32 acres, and she and her real ownerputs his cattleon our property every summer for a smallfee(ibought her and showed her one summer, technically, she's still mine, wenever signed another paper handing her over:p:pAnd i leasethe horse, so, she's mine, but doesn't live on the property, she livesdown the road.

Ellie

Ellie, thank you so much. I checked mylocal feed store and they carry the feed. So that's one less thing toworry about. I will start actuall building in 2 weeks when hubby geteshome. Oh I'm sorry, we are getting layers. They are about a year old.Do I need to add anything to their water. Some places say yes some sayno and I'm not sure.

Tina

No, adding stuff to the water is not neccessary.They should be laying, you need to create brood boxes. If you want, iwill go out and take pictures of all the things we use. Be sure to makethe building sturdy and draft-proof.

The rule of thumb is one square foot of space per buird. Line the coop floor with 4-6 in. of floor.

Build roosts, brood boxes and a little outdoor pen if space is available.

Ellie

P.S. i'll take some pictures of what a brood box should look like in an hour or two.

They will be in the building at night.It's really god sized and whoever lived here before us kept chickens init. I am going to be building an outdoor pen for them too.

I really appreciate you taking the time and doing this Ellie. I really do.

I just saw the cow...OMG She's Gorgeous. I love her color. Isaw one that looked like her at the fair. I so want a cow but Ican't.:(

Tina

It's no problem, Dajeti. I love sharing what iknow! I can't take pictures at the moment because we've got companyover. I got $4.50 in the Easter Egg Hunt!!! I'll take thepictures when i take the buns in:)

Ellie

Congrats on the hunt. Just whenever youget a chance. Would it be easier to post them here or to email them? Ifemailing them would be easier let me know and I can PM you the addyok?

A thousand Thanks Ellie! Even my son is getting excited now.:)

Tina

Back