chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they chew for life except when they were suckers. You might be able to stop chewing certain things by rubbing repellents on items or cover things with protective plastic (rabbit proof your house).

I haven't tried this yet but I met a person who rubbed liver treats for dogs on the wooden part of the hutch and her rabbit stop chewing the hutch.

Offer toys, boxes,phone books,cardboard,etc...I think they make a spray you can spray on furniture, like sour apple. Like Baby Juliet was saying, youjust have to rabbit proof your house. Cover cords, baseboards,etc... Good Luck :biggrin2:

People remove bunny teeth to keep them from chewing? How do they eat their food then? I mean, it's not like rabbits can eat porridge and drink soup...

A rabbits teeth continually grow and chewing on things keeps them worndown. You can never get a rabbit to not chew.

You need to do is give your bun alternative things to chew on. Youcan do this by bunny proofing your house, i.e plastic tubing split down the middle and put cords inside of them. Plastic wrapped around chair legs etc if the rabbit will have access to things like that. Get down on the floor and look at things like your bun will. Its like when people child proof their house, its best to get down on their level and look at the things that would be interesting to them or that they can get to.

Give your bun, untreated whicker balls (available online and at craft stores), cheap whicker paper plate holders, cardboard boxes, phone books like Sweetsassy suggested, toilet paper tubes stuffed wtih hay, plenty of hay, untreated doll straw hats (I get mine at Hobby Lobby or any craft store), hay/straw mats & houses available at pet stores.

My point being is a rabbit is always going to need to chew on something. If they don't they can develop Malaclusion, teeth overgrow, making it very difficult if not painful for the rabbit to be able to eat.You then have to trim the teethyourself or take the bun to thevet to get them trimmed regularly.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
My point being is a rabbit is always going to need to chew on something. If they don't they can develop Malaclusion, teeth overgrow, making it very difficult if not painful for the rabbit to be able to eat.You then have to trim the teethyourself or take the bun to thevet to get them trimmed regularly.
2 of mine have this as they refuse to chew on anything :( I clipped them myself most of the time or I take them to a vet to have them done.

Shawanna have you tired giving him something in his cage to stop him from chewing his bars? Mine use to do this and I could hear was Kris yelling at them to "stop it" at night.

Nobody has their bunnies' teeth removed to keep them from chewing. It's done if there is severe malocclusion due to their teeth not wearing down properly, like with Rebecca's bunnies Fluffy and Monsters. The surgery is terribly expensive and can be quite risky. Haley's Max and Jadeicing's Wyatt (I think?) also has some teeth removed. They can still eat, but I'm not sure totally. I know Max has his cheek teeth (molars) to grind stuff down, but I think Wyatt is totally toothless...

It's best to give them something good to chew on, like Sweetsassy and Wabbitdad12 said. This is easier said than done. My guys are really picky when it comes to chew toys. The things they like best are apple twigs and some fruit-flavored wood chews. Malocclusion can also be genetic and in that case there's nothing you can do. Wood chews are a good idea.

I was just reminded by some chomping noises that pinecones are also popular here. The woodier ones are better than the seedier ones, and we found a bunch in a park and cooked them in the stove for a little while to sterilize them and get some of the pine oils out.

Latest posts

Back