Chewing Untreated Wood

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleverpony

Reaction score
Noticed today that Mox has pretty much totalledthe "support beam" under the shelf in her cage. Since she's obviouslyfeeling mouthy, I cable-tied a nice block of untreatedwoodtrim to her cage and she is busy busy busy, but I wonderif there is a possibility of slivers in the mouth from such vigorouschewing? Any ideas?

I would doubt it, I mean we all give our rabbitsstuff to chew on and I have never heard of slivers. And they don'treally get enough off to worry about, they take small bits and chewthem so its more like pulp than wood.

Actually, the only type of wood that a bunnyshould ever be allowed to chew is untreated, because chemicals and diesintreated wood can be fatal. Sooo, don't worry about it andbe happy that your bunnies can chew safely :D I've never heard of abunny getting a splinter from chewing on wood.

Thats what I was thinking; it's recommended all the time and I've never heard of a bun suffering from slivers before.

*edited to add that the support beam was also untreated, no worries there.

Jess_sully wrote:
Actually, the only type of wood that a bunny should ever beallowed to chew is untreated, because chemicals and diesintreated wood can be fatal.
That's just common sense isn't it? I go by the basic rule that if Iwouldn't eat it, then why should my rabbits? Ok so I don't want to eatapple tree wood and hay but you get what I mean!

That's a common philosophy with all of the petsin this household :) They sell huge bags of carrots and lettuce andthings at local gas stations as "horse/animal feed", but it isobviouslly not the best quality... dirty, and often has a lot of darkspots, so even though it's cheap, I know I certainly wouldn't eat it...so why make the bunnies? We eat mostly organic fruits and veggies atour house, so I would never subject a bunny to pesticides and chemicalsand wax that areon inorganic veggiesthat I myselfwouldn't eat, either. It's worth the extra money, in my opinion.

I don't go that far, we don't eat organic andeither do the bunnies (unless I'm growing it). Why? Because we've hadisseues with falsly labelled 'organic' products, I'm not paying doublethe price for something that really isn't organic.

Not to mention organic does not have a set meaning as of yet, it's whateach area sets as guidelines to what really is organic. It may meanlittle or no pesticides, no fertiliers, or in some cases it just meanslittle or no use ofpesticides and what not within a certaintime frame of harvesting.

But anyways, I'm not trying to start a debate, that's just my take onit. I still have the same general belief as you -- if I wouldn't eatit, then why should my bunnies?

That's true about the guidelines. However, we'venipped this in the bud by buying most of our fruits and vegetables froma local farm and watching them pick it all themselves. They are acertified organic farm and never use pesticides or any chemicals.Unfortunately, the outdoor crops such as corn and whatnot do sufferfrom bugs sometimes, but they grow the majority of the foods inside agreenhouse, so that helps, too. They always have unaffected crops,too... so that solves the problem. A very nice family, great friends ofours :)

Latest posts

Back