Chewing Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephiemarie78

Reaction score
Gator is VERY LOUD Chewer and has been chewing on the coroplast in his cage. He wakes everyone up. He is also just loud in general. My sister's husband is getting really upset about it. I need some ideas. I don't want them to say he can't stay here with me anymore.

ETA: That he does have different toys and stuff to chew on. I also let him out in the morning for a hour and before i sleep for about an hour. That hasn't helped either. He's very active bunnie. Coco isn't she just kinda chills. I live with my sister and they are in the living room with me.

Do you need to use coroplast for flooring? What about covering the floor with an old towel? You could also use linoleum (you can get a pretty big piece as a "remnant" at the hardward store for ~$20), which can be chewed on but maybe if you put duct tape on the edges he wouldn't chew on it. I use linoleum and I think it's great!

I didn't even think of using an old towel. I'll have to find something that would fit. See that why i love this forum always people to give you ideas when you can't think of anything.

Just make sure that he doesn't chew and swallow bits of the towel, which could cause a nasty blockage to his intestines. If he won't chew on it, a big towel or a fluffy fleece blanket would be a good idea. Though linoleum would be easier to clean.

Marietta

What about buying some pegboard for the floor? That way, if he chews it, it's totally safe?

Id do that Rosie but my sister freaks out about the rabbit poop and i don't want to hear it if some is on the floor. I might try and get some fleece. He is loud wakes me up atleast a few times anight. Rosie do yours wake you up?

ROFLOL...they used to wake me up...playing with toys, drinking (those that don't yet have Water Buddies...oh what saviours those Water Buddies are!), shooshling their hay...

But anymore, we've gotten quite used to it. That is, until Teeny discovered what fun it was to toss around his plastic link toys a few nights ago, hehe. That's a sound we weren't used to hearing, and thus it wakes me up. I sleep straight through them playing with ball-containing toys, etc...but that toy was a first to hear. LOL!!

But when we first had them in the same area we sleep in...took WEEKS before we got a solid night's sleep, lol! Anymore...there are very select things that wake us up. Like Sunny the Cat chewing on a plastic grocery bag, or the kitties being stinkers, etc. Otherwise, we sleep like the dead anymore! LOL...

you could spray bitter apple on the bars. also, training by squirting the bun with a water bottle and saying "no, no, no, (bunny name)" is supposed to work. the squirting works better than the verbal--the bunny has to stop and clean himself off, plus they don't like it very much.:p

I'm strictly guessing here, but is your bun ateenager? Baxter! my bun is approximatly 9 months old(a bun my friend found, could not keep and talked me into taking a month ago) now wakes me up at 5:00 AM each morning if I keep him insde (otherwise he it out on the patio w/his outside condo).

He used to only wake me at 7:30 AM (which was still to early for me) - but "they" seem to know when they can get your "one on one attention"...

Perhaps, if you can (which has worked "somewhat" for me) is to exhaust your bunny the night before he goes to bed, give him/her a box to climb through or boxes they have to jump over to get somewhere - Baxter! finds this activity fascinating and it tires him out before bedtime.

Or, you can do what I have found when the above does not work, to just get up when they do and give them spinach and make yourself a cup of coffee.. LOL

Good luck and keep posting..

I tried the wearing him out before i went to bed and that didn't help. He was good lastnight didn't wake me up. I arranged his cage to cover the parts he chews on. He might just feel more comfortable now. We'll see how tonight goes. I got Gator from craigslist so I don't know how old he is. I was told a year.

Latest posts

Back