Chewing his drinks bottle until it falls apart...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kassidylangiano

Reaction score
I don't know why but by bunny keeps chewing his wanted bottle through the night on the metal tip..

Water comes out of it so he is getting water out of it but he chews it constantly. The last few nights he's chewed it until the metal bit comes off in his cage and the bottle of water end up on the floor. Luckily by this point he has already woken me up with the chewing noise so I can re attach it.

But I need the chewing to stop. It's so loud and people in my house are complaining. And I don't want to have to give him up... Would maybe a bowl of water be better for him?

I have also been having to put a bath towel/sheet over his cage at night to stop him chewing and rattling the metal bars...

I can't fit any new toys in his house. He has loads of boredom breakers in there...

What can I do? X

Is he playing with any of the toys in there? I find I have to change what is in Gandalfs cage every few days because he gets bored of the same toys. I also usually have some kind of cardboard toy or toilet roll tube toy in there for chewing which I usually swap out at night to provide something new and interesting to keep him entertained while I sleep.

Also have you tried using a water bowl instead of a bottle? Some rabbits really prefer them.

he does play with them but he favors his treat ball but i worry about over feeding him...

and i am going to buy a small bowl to try out tonight for his water..
i have been putting in the paper tube too but i dont know if there is anything else i can try?

He has a hanging ball that i put his veggies in so he has to work to get them out which is good and keeps him busy for maybe an hour or two while i sleep but its always about 6am he starts making loads of noise and i really worry that im going to get told by the people i live with that he has to go...

I cant give him up.... i just cant is there any toys you would recommend?

I am taking him to my mother in laws on Monday so he can experience grass for the first time if the weather is nice as i don't have a yard... but i worry that i am not doing enough for him and he is bored, i try to have him out every minute of the day that i am home and he can go back in his house if he wants too but i just dont know what else i can do for him...

any suggestions would be amazing!

6 am before he gets noisy is good. Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk, so when it just barely starts to get light, he is supposed to be up and doing things, that's normal and, you won't change it.

If you are going to get him a bowl which is actually better for rabbits as they tend to drink more water from a bowl then a bottle. They need plenty of water to keep everything in their gut hydrated which helps keep it moving well. You will probably want to get either a bowl that is heavy so he can not flip it and spill the water or a bowl that attaches to the side of the cage so he cannot spill it.

If you are not doing it already then try swapping out his toys every few days so he does not get bored with them.

Does he have a cardboard box in his cage? He may like that. Most buns seem to enjoy chewing on a cardboard box.

I'd recommend a bowl/crock as well. All Living Things make really great ceramic bunny bowls. They are ergonomically designed and are heavy so the rabbit can't tip it. Well unless a person has a Flemmie or something.

Latest posts

Back