Chewing harness and leash

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
Next question is:

Is there so way I can discourage Blackie from chewing his harness andleash? He is so fast and slick about it. We are on our second set. Ilike to take him to my brother's and we sit outside with him on theleash and he doesn't seem to mind the leash. He doesn't fight it oranything........just chews..... whenever I am not looking.

Mary

P.S. I have lots of things to learn about mothering a bunny. So I will be asking a lot of questions.

Dear Mary,

You can ask as many questions as you want. I encourage it, and I do ita lot myself. That's how we learn. Please don't feel shy or embarrassedabout asking a question because if you have it, surely other's have hadit too. I learn from every question asked in this forum.

As to the harness question, I have little to add.

When I put the harness on, the way I know he's safe for breathing andnot biting it off is if I can fit one finger comfortably through theneck and body sections and adjusting the fit. My rabbit will try tobite it off at first, but his head doesn't bend in any way that he cansink his teeth into it.

As to the leash, I've not attached a leash to a tree. I usually try tokeep the leash up in the air so that my rabbit won't bite it. He wouldchew it if he could.

I hope someone can give you an idea of some type of leash that he can'tbite through. Of course, the chain link metal fence could be risky tohis teeth the first time he tries to bite that. Maybe he would give upsoon after trying it.

I look forward to other's responses. Some of us take our rabbits aroundin baby carriages and infant carriers. We've got all kinds of ideas. :)

-Carolyn

all i can think of that might help is maybe buysome of this sour apple spray they sell at pet stores. you spray it onthings and it tatses sour and yucky and your pet wont want to chew.maybe if you spray the leash really good with it hell taste the sourand wont want to chew.

I carry Blackie in a front pack......made of dogs.I started him in a denim purse. that Ialtered,when I first adopted him so he likes to ride. He soonoutgrew the purse.

Mary

Good Suggestion, Phx_Punk_Girl. :dude:

Mary,

Buck Jones gave me an infant carrier on his last visit here. My rabbit isn't keen on the leash, but he's okay with the pouch.

There's a post called, The Buck Pack. I'll find it and bring it up. Please check it out. I think you'll enjoy it.

-Carolyn

I personally found the more I put Megan on herleash, the less she chewed it. She hated it at first, so her instinctwas to chew her way out of it, which didn't work. Now she lets me putit on her, but she still squiggles and sqiurms when we get outside, Idon't know if it's because she still hates or, if it she just reallywants to start running around, because she usually runs as soon as shegets on the ground...

BlackiesMum,

Tell us more and we'll troubleshoot it with you.

Don't give up yet.

There's a lot of voices and ideas that haven't been heard. Hopefullywith your insight and instincts guiding us, we can help you find a wayto make it work. :)

-Carolyn

I dont think its much help since I am just agreewith the above posts-but I have found that whilst in mytraining (since you all know WE are trained to walk the buns not theother wayaround themore she is on theharness the lessshe triestochew her way out of it..best of luck to you andthank you for clearing that up about the knapsack.....whew had to do adouble take there!

lol

Cher

When I first got Apollo his harness, his first fewtrips were out onto the front porch. I'm lucky he barely ever tried tochew the harness. The few times he did i told him NO!. I also kepttreats with me for the times I caught him being good. Now when I puthis harness on he runs to the door. Good Luck

Tina

I tried putting Fidget on the lead for the 1sttime the other day. He HATED IT!! I was really upset because I reallyhad hoped to take hime for walks (I no hes not a dog!) so he couldexplore and stuff. But the moment I attached the lead he sprintedforward and flipped round to face me.
He wont go where I want him to go only where he wants to. *sobs*
How can I make him find going on the lead is fun?

4rm loz n bunnies

Latest posts

Back