Chewer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlee

Reaction score
My bun is a chewer - I can't get him to stop chewing the baseboards. He about 4 1/2 months old - has been neutered about a month ago.

I know neutering doesn't stop a bunny's chewing - any ideas on how I can stop this behavior - I've tried everything. Does he just not understand?

It kind of depends on why he's chewing...One of mine used to chew when he was bored or wanted attention...so once I addressed that, it stopped.

I've heard people try rubbing soap on the baseboards or other things (like a bitter apple spray) with some success.

He chews when I let him out for his play - I'm right here so I don't think it's for attention. He just sees the wood and goes for it - lol!! He has a cardboard box and even a telephone book in his play area but he loves the baseboards!

First you have to figure out why he is chewing. We know that chewing is a natural, necessary and enjoyable behavior for rabbit's, so to keep them from unwanted chewing it's important to provide other stimulation. When he is out roaming, does he have other toys to chew/shred? Could he be doing it to get your attention? You can also block off area's and protect furniture with NIC cubes.

Edit- Just noticed you already answered my questions, sorry.

He has chews sticks in his cage-- a phonebook and cardboard box in his play area. I have NIC cubes on one side of the wall. I didn't put them all the way around because his play area is small.

Thanks for the responses (I love everyone's avators - cute bunnies!!)

There are all kinds of mesh you can attach to the baseboards if you don't want wall-to-wall NIC panels.

Radar and Darry were ferocious wall and baseboard chewers, they stopped eventually, but I still can't let them get too bored. Best thing for them was blocking off the favourite areas with panels, and putting pesticide-free fruit tree branches in their space.

The fruit branches (oven baked with just the moss/lichen scraped off) were popular thick or thin as long as they were long and natural with rough bark -- they don't like the store bought ones at all.

They prefer their wood to be 'fixed' and not move when they chew it, so I tried to wedge them places.

Pipp is a wire maniac, I have to block all wires by putting plastic protectors around them, hanging them up and/or blocking the areas behind the furniture (old pillows work well for that).

sas :bunnydance:

If you do find someone, you won't regret it. Every time I visit my mom it seems like she's chopping huge parts of her tree of for us.

This morning I tried a cheap whistle - but I didn't blow it loud - just softly and he stopped chewing immediately -of course he tried again about 4 times in the same spot - ha! He is hard headed :) I handed him an acceptable item to chew instead. Hopefully he will get the idea -

I'll try tofind someone this week with non sprayed apple trees - I live in the country you would think this would be easy but farmers here go pesticide crazy!!

Have a Wonderful Week everyone :bunnydance:

Thank again :purplepansy:

Latest posts

Back