Chew sticks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmybuns

Reaction score
I have been ordering from Farmer Dave but I feel like it is kinda overpriced for a tiny envelope of uhm yah know, twigs!!!! SO anyone have a better place to get them? If I keep doing this I get 2 bags and with shipping its like 12$ and it lasts uhm lets see a week? Not gunna fly, but they love them so much!!!!

Do you know any friends or relatives with an apple tree that they don't spray? Maybe they'd let you clip some branches off?

I agree, for just some sticks it does seem like a lot! My guys need thicker ones, the little short ones they don't bother with because they are so small.

I scavange at parks, LOL! I braid weeping willow twigs and take larger branches that have fallen down in storms and dry them in my oven on low. They're a favorite here. I also snagged a dead crab apple branch from a local nature park but they aren't impressed with it.

Pear trees are also supposed to be good, if you know anybody with one that isn't sprayed.

Super Pet sells some decent twigs in pet stores- fruit branches (gooseberry) and lately apple and peach.

Untreated grapevine wreaths from Hobby Lobby are an old standard in my house, as are Pier 1 willow balls.

as are Pier 1 willow balls.
Ah yes, the willow balls. Carmel absolutely loves them. I have found them in various locations for very cheap. They don't last long at all though since Ms. Carmel is so crazy for them! :D

Can they eat the leaves from apple and pear trees too. I have both in my garden and they are not sprayed so my guys have those.

We tend to cut the trees back once a year to keep their shap and I store the lopped branches in the shed for later use.

I just wondered if they could have some of the leaves off of the tree?

Just wondering, where is the best/cheapest place you've found to buy the willow and grapevine toys? I'm probably looking to order some online, because I've been checking the stores around here like crazy and they don't have what I'm looking for. I've found several sites, but wanted to get opinions on here first.

Also, is there any way to tell by looking that stuff is untreated and bunny-safe? I've seen some stuff in crafty stores that almost looks like the willow balls and baskets, but is in crazy colors that I'm guessing have stuff on them that's not good, and don't want to risk it.

Just wondering, where is the best/cheapest place you've found to buy the willow and grapevine toys?
I've found willow balls and wreaths at various locations but not always consistantly.:? But I've gotten them in small bags in the Wal-Mart craft section, and at the Dollar Tree. I've also gotten them at Michaels and of course, Pier 1. They usually come in bags of 6 to 12 balls and only run about a dollar or two. The wreath's price depend on the size you prefer. But I've never paid more than a couple of dollars for a twelve inch wreath. I don't know about grapevine cuz I don't use it, but maybe someone else can chime in on that.:)
Also, is there any way to tell by looking that stuff is untreated and bunny-safe? I've seen some stuff in crafty stores that almost looks like the willow balls and baskets, but is in crazy colors that I'm guessing have stuff on them that's not good, and don't want to risk it.
I've been tripped up by that in the past too! I never buy anything colored or that looks dark like it's been stained. Willow typically is a light colored wood. You can smell it but a lot of the time that doesn't help. Touching it can help because the treated stuff sometimes feels sticky or just "not natural".

You can seeexamplepics of willow balls and wreaths at:

http://www.bunnyluv.com/toys.html

(I've not ordered willow productsfrom them, but their pics are helpful)

The ones I get from the stores don't have as many branches woundin them though.

I hope this helps a little!

-Beth

Latest posts

Back