Chew snacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmfh

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting my bun one of those chew shacks/logs but when I read the ingrediants it said it had pine shavings in it. Is it safe/ok to let ur bun chew on pine? I know they can't live on it but I wanted to check first before I bought one. Thank you.

It's best not to use pine. They CAN--it's not nearly as bad as Cedar--but it would be better to get her something solid rather than something that's been pressed together. Would it be possible to get pruned branches from fruit trees or a hardwood like maple?

Someone bought our bunny a Snak Shak as a gift for us watching their pets. Our bunny loved the thing and ate the ENTIRE thing in a day and a half. Couldn't figure out why she liked it so much but then read the ingredients. I wasn't expecting her to EAT the whole thing. just thought she'd nibble on it. I don't recomend it, last I knew eating Pine wasn't too good for the GI tract. the bunnies just love it because its flovored with honey. I don't think its too healthy..I'd stick with more natural things like veggies, and there are some Oxbow treats that are very good and bunnies love them.

The best chew snacks for rabbits are natural, not manufactured. As was mentioned upthread, apple branches or twigs are great for rabbits. Also, grape vines, sea grass, willow, etc. You can buy untreated baskets, wreaths, etc.from the craft store.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thank you everyone for ur answers. I'm usually careful about snacks. I just thought they were cute lol. She does get apple sticks but I like to give her variety. I found a snack the other day by sunaturals. It's an oatmeal/parsley roll. Has oatmeal, parsley, wheat, red millet, and potato starch. Now that is the kind of treat I like. Plus she likes it and she really has, to knaw on it.

Latest posts

Back