Chew materials

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrie

Reaction score
I bought wooden chew sticks at the pet store, but Powder doesn't really like chewing on them. He chewed up a couple, but he seems to prefer to chew on cardboard/paper/hay than wood. He's going to the vet next week to have his teeth checked out/make sure everything is OK/have his claws clipped and discuss plans for his neuter.

My question is, will chewing on cardboard boxes and hay and such keep his teeth down? If not, what else would you suggest than the wooden chew toys at the store, since he doesn't seem to care for those? I have bought him nearly every type of chew toy they have, only one he seems to like is the corn husk one.

He is not a huge chewer - he doesn't chew anything in the house he isn't supposed to (I know, I lucked out on the best behaved rabbit in the world lol). Yesterday a wire was in his way, he picked it up gently with his teeth and moved it, then put it down. That is the only time he's touched a wire. For my house, that is a great thing, since he's not destructive... but I am worried that his chew habits might not be enough to keep his teeth worn down.

It works quite well with our herd. The only wood, other than furniture that they readily chewed, was fresh cut apple branches. Think they really like the bark the most.

Back