Chew..chew. chew. chew and shes not a train! ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrpumpkinbunny

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice. Peanut is driving me to my whit’s end.She is reallygetting tomy DH,I make excuses for her, butdh is getting so :mad: We have had her since Jan and there was a really long bonding period between her and MrPumpkin Bunny before they became friends. It was nearly 2 months. She's as cute as can be you can see them both in the bunny blog. http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14230&forum_id=6 The more she has gotten comfortable and used to the house, the more destructive she has gotten and the more it limits both of them.

She eats through everything....our house is very well bunny proofed. Mr Bunny has always had the run of the house (not bedrooms) no problem. However since they have been bonded, we have had to limit them to the Kitchen because Peanut is sooooo destructive. She has eaten through 2 litter boxes, furniture, plastic on the bottom of the fridge, the back door. We've had to take away Mr Bunny's favorite toys because she will eat them rather than throw them around.

We provide them with ample appropriate chew opportunities.They have all of the newspapers, cardboard and untreated willow anybun could ever want. Our kitchen looks more like a box cemetery with all of the boxes laying around.

The other problem is her dominance over him has gotten to be problematic. She will not let him eat until she has eaten most of the food.If you put out more for him after she's eaten she will eat more and push him to the corner. More recently, shewill not let us pet him any more. If he comes, up for pets, she pushes him out of the way and he sulks back into a corner.

It is also not as if she is trying to be pet either, because we alwaystry to give them both the same amount of affection. When we try to pet her, she hops away from us, so it is not like she is trying to get petted first. I think she is jealous that he wants to be pet by us.

Do you know of litter box alternatives that are not plastic? We also have to line the bottom of our box with a cookie cooling rackbecause she digs all the litter out. It also need to be deep because she sprays over the edge.

Are there any chew deterrents? We tried to mix hot sauce and water and paint it onto the edge of the litter box, thinking that would stop her...she licked it off and kept chewing!

Should I separate them so that Mr Pumpkin Bunny gets enough food?

Do any of you allow one of your bonded bunnies to have more space to run than others?

What would you do?

I appreciate your advice. Ithought I had this bunny stuff all figured out after 20+ years of bunnies including a wild one that was not destructive, but I have never met a bunny like Peanut before.

Calgon take me away! :sigh

Mrpumpkinbunny wrote:
Do you know of litter box alternatives that are not plastic?
I have a shallow plastic tray that I put into a higher cardboard box so Pebbles can't pee over the edge. When the cardboard gets chewed up, I just replace it with a new box.

Are there any chew deterrents?
I don't have chewing problems but I heard on a Radio Show that people had squirrels getting under car hoods and chewing electrical wires. The radio host told them to put Mennen Underarm Deodorant on the wires and the squirrels stay away because they don't like the smell.
I never tried it, but if someone has this deodorant, try an experiment and get back to us.

That would be a good idea.

Do any of you allow one of your bonded bunnies to have more space to run than others?
I only have one Bunny, but more than enough space. :D

12241.jpg

Rainbows! :)

There are galvinized steel litterbox; the liiter goes under the mesh so it can't be dug out.

It may be best to give her a more restricted space, say in a folding pen like Mitchell makes. You can join two or more together also, & they fold away easily.

sheridan wrote:
such a cool garden
Thanks. :sunshine:

My wife wanted to grow roses, so we raised the flower bed. She doesn't have much of a green thumb, so we settled on something easier. ;)

However it worked out O.K. because Pebbles doesn't jump up into the flowers.

Rainbows! :pink iris::pink iris::pink iris:

First question: Is she spayed? How long ago and how old is she? Hormones and age play a big part.

Mrpumpkinbunny wrote:
Do you know of litter box alternatives that are not plastic?
http://bunnyrabbit.com/equipment%20pix/litterpan.jpg

Are there any chew deterrents? Ivory soap works well for me. Also, a squirt bottle works well to help them learn the meaning of the word no!;)

Have you tried giving them multiple bowls? If that doesn't work, then separate them.

No, it would stress mine out to be separated like that, especially if they couldn't get back to their cage.

What would you do?
Could you use a large pen? Dog exercise pens or pens made out of wire shelving grids (NIC cubes) would keep her away from more chewable stuff. Or you could use the grids to block off spots that she's obsessed over. You'll also need to watch her constantly while she's out and train her by saying no and clapping your hands. If she doesn't pay attention, shoo her away or spray her with water while saying no.

Rainbows thanks for the advice.

I would love to hear from anyone about the deoderant idea.

Bunman: Any idea where to get the galvanized steel litter box? I haven't come up with anything on google.

Yes I forgot to mention that sheis already spayed! I believe it was at least a 3 months before we adopted her from the shelter.:? So that would be 8-9 months ago.

Ok so I've been searching all over the internet for a galvanized steel litter box. Couldn't find it so I broadened the search.

I found this pan: 10 X 12 X 6 inches.

It is used in catering and I found it for $11.95. I am considering buying it.

Anyone have more ideas on the litter box chewing?

Also the food dominance issue? Also, the seperate play times for bonded bunnies? I don't want to create a problem with their bondiing.

Read my post above for a few ideas. I answered inside the quote box so you might not have noticed.;)

Oh, and for some reason that link isn't working right. Copy and paste it instead of clicking on it.

Mrpumpkinbunny wrote:
I found this pan: 10 X 12 X 6 inches.
What is the size of your old litter box? Will your bunny fit comfortably in the new pan, and will it be too high for her to jump in and out?

Rainbows! :)

naturestee wrote:
First question: Is she spayed? How long ago and how old is she? Hormones and age play a big part.
DOH! You are right I did not see your responses! I am so silly not seeing the answers. I was wondering where Bunman came up with the comment about Ivory! ;) I am not sure how old she is either, because she was rescued. I guess she is somewhere between 1 and 2 years old. She is believed to have had a litter at one point.

We do have a large dog run pen as their cage.Webought the NIC materials and aregoing to make a NIC cage,to have more versitility and upward mobiity with lofts. Mr PB old cage had several levels, so I know he misses that.

Wehave two bowls and we try to distract her by puttingone bowl down right in front of her and filling that first. She starts to eat, but as soon as M.P.B getshis she runs him off and then he sulks back from both bowls. She will pig out till she is finished with both bowls if we let herand he will hang back. Recently if she runs him off we do not let her eat the second bowlfull, because that is just too much. They do have hay available all day, but unless we hand feed Mr PB the oxbow pellettsshe gets to them before him and runs him off.

So to seperate them to eat, I am trying to figure out how we couldpotentially construct a NIC cage that will make this easier.

One thing we did after she chewed the back door was get several pieces of plexi glass. When she is out it coveres the door and try to block the refrigerator, cabinets and refrigerator. As you may imagine the house is not very human friendly when the bunnies are out though, which is a huge dissatisfier.

Weclap our hands but she ignores this and Mr PB freaks out and thinks we are scolding him. Wealso have a squirt bottle, we use it but not frequently, because she is not detered by that either.She just gets mad and turns her back and grooms herself.

Rainbows: The panis about the same size. A little deeper, except they play in deeper boxes than that, jumping in and out no problem.

Thank you, thank you for the links. I am going to plot a course of action! I am so glad I found this board a few weeks back. Put a bunch of bunny lovers together and there will be a way to solve most any problem!

Again, the Mitchell folding pens may solve some people's bunnyproofing problems. Eliminates the need to bunproof specific areas. They can be clipped together to create a larger space. The come with stakes so they can also be set up outdoors. A roof is also available.

Thanks again Bunman... I think when we make the NIC cage...(on my honey do list, but we need to finish remodeling the bathroom first.) We can open up the run pen we have and use it as you have suggested to bunny proof specific areas. Right now we use it as there cage, but not open all of the way.

By the way the metal pans came in and the buns luv them. They are really working out well. No litter all over the place and I don't even have a grate over the litter, so Peanut can dig all she wants and it does not make a mess. I think I am going to get more because I can use the smaller ones under the hay feeder to catch the stuff the drops off.

Latest posts

Back