Chestnut has a sore paws! help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chestnut(my english lop) has sores on all of her paws i have been putting ointment on it but i want to know how to stop it from happening again and how to make it heal faster. thx for an advice you give me it would be very helpful! :happyrabbit:

they can come from standing on harsh surfaces like the inside of a cage for too long or just in general. If you think about a rabbits natural habitat, they usually stand on soft surfaces like grass and soil. Try to find some kind of rubber/plastic matt that has holes in it to put onto of your cage flooring- the matt will be softer for their feet, but the holes will still allow poop and pee to fall to the bottom. Also, they are super easy to clean because they are made of a type of rubber, so you just need to rinse them in water every couple of days. That's what I use for my rabbits and they've never had problems with sore hocks! :) hope that helps

528407_3727379718168_1503351150_n.jpg

here's an example of what I mean... this is what I use for my bunnies (the blue color matt we place on top of the wire floor)

I think even on that blue plastic, a bunny that has had sore hocks is still going to be very prone to them in the furture. Is your bunny litter trained or trained to one corner? If so, I would put fleece down everywhere except the potty spot in the cage. This has helped my sorehocks buns more than anything. Also, excess thumping can cause it in adition to being overweight, because a large breed or being a mini rex or rex. Also, check that your bunnies' nails are trimmed on a regular basis. If not, the nails will grow longs causing the bunny to sit in an unnatural posture so the weight on the feet is unequally distributed. Continue checking the rabbit's feet at least once a week or so for a while to check and make sure the feet aren't starting to get bad again.

While the feet are sore, I would suggest putting human baby socks on them. Others on RO have done so & it helped. Use bandage tape loosely around the area just above the feet to keep them on.

Back