cherries?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowena

Reaction score
Can rabbits have cherries? I have one and waswanting to give Chinny a bite while she is on my lap, but not sure theyare safe and dont see them on my list

Virginia

I've heard not to give em cherry branches or bark as its toxic to em. Not sure on cherries themselves tho.

If you have strawberries, try a bite of those, Corky was goin nuts over those last nite and takin em out of my teeth. LOL!

Yea, I dont think they are ok lol I dont haveany strawberries! I do have some cucumber, carrot, grapes, stuff likethat though LOL

Virginia

I seemed to remember something about cherry pits (and apple cores) being toxic, so I went online and found this:

All cherries contain Cyanogenic glycoside, avery toxic chemical found in the leaves, limbs, roots, & cherrypits, but the ripened fruit as we all know is completelynontoxic.

It sounds like cherries themselves(pitted) are okay...though I think I'd play it safe and stick to otherfruits....

HRS says Cherry tree bark, twigs, leaves, and pits are all toxic

Based on that....IMO....I would not give cherries to the buns.

based on personal experience, the fruit part*is* ok. it's the brances, pits etc that you have to worry about. thebuns *love* them.i'm talking aboutthelarge darkcherries you find in a grocery storethough, not the little sour ones.everything in moderationhowever.. lots of things can become toxic in the right amounts.

Hmm ok. I think its one of those things you haveto kind of decide for yourself. Its not a big deal to me. She was in mylap and I happen to have a bag of cherries on my desk LOL Ill probablygive her a bite of something later if she wants it. I have somecraisins for her. I dont wanna risk hurting her. She only gets a biteor two of fruit every so often.

Thanks!

Virginia

Hi, I have been giving my "guys" cherries foryears (a very expensive treat!!). There has never been a problem, theyhave never eaten the pits or stems. If you feel uncomfortable about thepits/stems, just remove them before you give the buns the cherries. Mybuns love them and actually lunge at the bag, to get them!! I havefound, through the years, that the buns seem to know what is not goodfor them and won't eat things that are harmful. Even the plants thatare in my garden that are on the "no-no" list are ignored. Charlotte

dootsmom wrote:
Hi, I have been giving my "guys" cherries for years (a veryexpensive treat!!). There has never been a problem, they have nevereaten the pits or stems. If you feel uncomfortable about thepits/stems, just remove them before you give the buns the cherries. Mybuns love them and actually lunge at the bag, to get them!! I havefound, through the years, that the buns seem to know what is not goodfor them and won't eat things that are harmful. Even the plants thatare in my garden that are on the "no-no" list are ignored.Charlotte
:yes:

I just happen to have a cherry tree in my backyard!!!!! FREE CHERRIES!! (if the birds and squirrels don't get them first:disgust: )

"Oh Buuuunnies!! I gostst a new treat for yous!!"

Iknow for certain that apple cores contain asmall number of cyanide (sp?) in them, although you would have to eatan extrememly large amount to have any effect. We have a cherry tree aswell, they're gonna love those!

Ellie

Oh Im jealous you have a cherry tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok well, Im gonna take a piece of one in her room and see what she does lol

I got some nice cherries for $2.99 a lb at the store. I LOVE CHERRIES!

Virginia

** "Iknow for certain that apple cores contain asmall number of cyanide (sp?) in them, although you would have to eatan extrememly "**

Its not the apple CORE thatcontains cyanide , ITs the Apple SEEDS that do , 10apple seeds contain enough cyanide tomake a large human extremely Ill ifnot fatal ,

Maybe I should stop eating the apple seeds then? I'm addicted to them and I couldn't tellyou why :?

Latest posts

Back