CHEEKS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEEKS

Reaction score
Hello.

Last night our rabbit died. Cheeks was about 1-1/2 years old, andappeared healthy. We gave her a good diet of rabbit food, hay, and anoccasional treat of carrots, etc. She had a wonderful coat, and wasalways active. We kept her cage clean, and always fed and watered heras scheduled. It appeared her eyes were open when she passed, and shewas clinging by her teeth to the bars of the cage (she often gnawed onthe cage). Do you have any ideas what may have caused her death?

Thank you!

Jim:(

I wish I had asuggestion for you. :( I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe someone elseon the board can give you an idea.

deepest_sympathy_md_clr.gif

card1.jpg

I'm so sorry, Jim. I wish I could help you figureit out, it could've been any number of things. It sounds likeyou had given her the best life and love she could've everhad. Her diet, cleanliness of her cage, water, and amount oftreats sounds just right for her to have been fine. Don'tknow how old she was, but I know no matter how old they are,itisn't long enough.

If you haven't read the poem: The Rainbow Bridge, you may wish to takea look at it.http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I'm so sorry about Cheeks. I know you loved her very much and the pain is very raw.

-Carolyn

I am so sorry, how long did you have her? I havea friend that had a rabbit die without any warning. The vetsaid it was a disease that could not be perceived, which she probablycame with when she had been bought, I'm afraid that i can't rememberwhat it was called.

Happybunny

She was, according to the store we bought her from no more than 2 years old. Thanks for your thoughts!

We had her for about 1-1/2 years, we think she was 2. Thanks for your response.

I think we will just let her rest as she is. Thank you for your response.

I am so sorry about your loss.....but I do thinki knowhy your rabbit died. Since he always gnawed on the cageI think your rabbit might have caught zinc or lead poisoning from thecage wires. Below, there is a story about a bird that died from leadpoisoningfrom cages. Hope the story helps....and gives you alittle more info about why Cheeks died.

Cassandra

New Alert Received March 2004:Cage Causes Zinc and Lead Poisoning! I am writing you thisemail in the hopes that its posting may prevent other pets fromsuffering as ours has.

[font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"]
zinccagelogo.jpg
InFebruary 2002, my husband and I purchased a wonderful Moluccan Cockatoofrom a family who could no longer keep her due to respiratory problems.The Cockatoo, Spike, was being housed in a one-year-old cage which wecontinued to house her in ourselves. In November 2003, Spikeself-mutilated her preen gland. At the time it was thought that she mayhave done so due to an infection. She was treated with antibiotics andI kept an extremely close eye on her. A short time later she appearedto suffer a "neurologic episode". She was uncoordinated, blind, anddeaf for approximately 45 minutes. It was most likely a petit malseizure.
[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]After routine blood workcame back normal I decided to have her cage tested for heavy metalsjust for peace of mind. I honestly did not expect the tests to showanything. You can only imagine my shock when the results came backshowing that the cage contained 20,000ppm of lead and 147ppm of zinc. Ijust couldn't believe that in this day and age any company would stilluse these materials in the metal and paint of an animal cage. Aftergetting this information, I took Spike back to the vet for heavy metaltoxicity tests. The vet determined that Spike had most likely sufferedboth lead and zinc poisoning. The lead poisoning had somehow resolveditself, unfortunately, the zinc poisoning had not. Four months later weare still making frequent vet visits and medicating our beloved petwith oral doses of Cupramine in an attempt to get the zinc out of hersystem. I cannot emphasize enough how emotionally and financiallydraining this ordeal has been![/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Spike's cage had nomanufacturer information on it whatsoever. The only marking was anengraved rabbit on the latching mechanism of the cage door.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Through a great deal ofresearch, I eventually found the company that sold Spike's cage. Anemployee of Parrot Playstands in Florida said the cage I described wasone of theirs and that he did alot of business in Tennessee where thecage was purchased. When I asked him who the manufacturer was he saidhe made them himself. I told him about our bird getting lead and zincpoisoning from the cage. He then said he didn't actually make thecages, but rather imported them from China. When I asked if he had thename and/or contact information for the manufacturer he said no. Hetold me that the owner of Parrot Playstands goes through a broker whogoes through another broker that works for the othercompany.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]We are extremely fortunatethat we still have our Too. Please, please, please be careful whenpurchasing a cage for your bird! Beware of generic, "no name," andimported cages sold at bird fairs and stores. Buy a high quality cagefrom a reputable manufacturer only. Spending a little extra money nowcan save you alot of money, as well as heartache, later.[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Karen & RoySmith
Paducah, KY
[/font]

I thought it was illigal to sell stuff containingthat much Lead, if you touch the bar and it doesn't come off your handswho knows what could happen.

The animals will be more sursptable as they bit it

I'm gonna ask the pet shop about my hutch now!!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss.

If it helps, sounds like she got spooked REAL good. Possiblyhad a heart attack from it, might be why she was gnawing on the cage topossibly get out.

Again, sorry to hear about your loss, I lost a rabbit recently andI still think about him all the time.

Back