Checkered Babies update

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarzoo

Reaction score
I haven't updated about the Checkered Giant babies in a while, and I've had more born- so I thought I'd share!!

The first litter is now almost 6 weeks old and doing great. Their momdied at 2 weeks old, and I handfed all of them until about 4.5 weekswhen they transitioned themselves over to pellets all the way. Theyweren't growing as fast as they should have due to being supplemented-but are really starting to pick up the pace now. They are SOOOOO sweet,and all love to give kisses.

I had a second litter born, they will be two weeks old this Saturday.There were 12 born, with seven alive now. There are five blues in thelitter and two blacks. Mom is doing a spectacular job with all thosebabies and they are fat as can be. They are already MUCH larger thanthe other litter was at this age. Little porkers :)

I had my first fuzzy lop litter born in 5 years, but one was too bigand died during birth- the other is a peanut. I rebred her right awayand I am pretty sure she's pregnant again. She's due the first ofMarch. I can't wait!

Without further ado... here are the pictures!

The oldest litter, the ones I hand fed:

clem5wk8.jpg

clem5wk7.jpg

clem5wk4.jpg

The younger litter:

This picture shows the difference between the black and blue ones. Pictures taken last week.

chowder1wk2.jpg

chowder1wk1.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/clarzoo/Checkered Babies/chowder1wk2.jpg

Oh wow - I love the photos. I have a couple of questions for you - even though the second litter is still fairly young.

Do you find the first litter is more affectionate and open to humans?What about with each other - how much (if any) did losing mom affectthat interaction with each other? I didn't know if they would be moredependent on each other (my kits climb all over some of the moms andjust get real attached - while others- aren't so attached).

Please kepe us updated with photos. I'm so glad the first litter was able to survive and do as well as they have!

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
Oh wow - I love the photos. I have a couple of questions foryou - even though the second litter is still fairly young.

Do you find the first litter is more affectionate and open to humans?What about with each other - how much (if any) did losing mom affectthat interaction with each other? I didn't know if they would be moredependent on each other (my kits climb all over some of the moms andjust get real attached - while others- aren't so attached).

Please kepe us updated with photos. I'm so glad the first litter was able to survive and do as well as they have!

Peg

The litter of Checkered's that I hand raised is easily the mostaffectionate litter towards humans that I've ever had. They would lickme non-stop if I let them. It's actually a little weird, and I am notsure why they do it. It is probably because they were hand-fed andassociate me as a food source. When they first switched to pellets theywould nibble/bite my hands. I worked really hard to get them to stopthat since they will grow to be such large rabbits and won't standbiters in my herd. None nibble, now- but they still lick incessently ifI let them. They don't seem to be anymore affectionatetowards each other than a normal litter- they do the normal huddletogether when sleeping and mutual grooming, but that's about it.

The younger litter is not quite two weeks old. I haven't handled themmuch yet, but as soon as their eyes open I begin their 'socialization'to humans and the dogs and cats in my house. I can't really compare thetwo litters at this stage- as this is right at the age the otherlitter's mom died, so I hadn't been handling them much up to that pointeither. A quick once-over every day and back in the nest box they go!

I am so pleased with how well the first litter did. I didn't even loseone kit! I've had bad luck in the past with hand-feeding baby rabbits.I think their large size and 2-week age helped.

Back