Cheap temporary home?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sara_laughs

Reaction score
Hi, it’s me and my questions again!
My husband is working like crazy andwon't be able to make my bunny castle for me until June at the earliestbut he said if I can find an inexpensive way to temporarily house thebunny I can have my bunny now! :colors::colors: Anyone have anyideas? Keep in mind I'm going to have to keep the bunnyoutside when the husband is home at night...

Thanks,
Sara

Well a cheap cage that i think most of us aregoing to reccomend is an NIC cage. Those are for ONLY INDOOR usethough. Most outdoor hutches are pretty expensive because they have tobe sturdy and made out of wood. I would strongly suggest either housingyour bunny only indoors or only outdoors as the temerature change ofgoing in and out, in and out is going to be very stressful and may leadto sickness like pnemonia.Silvie&Phinn

Hi Silvie & Phinn,
Thanks for the advice. I thought maybe it would be ok tobring the bunny in and out during this time of year. It's inthe 70's here and my house is open (as in windows and screen doors) sothe temp inside is within 5 degrees of the outside. Is thatstill going to shock the bunny's system?
Thanks,
Sara

Sara, I really do not suggest putting the rabbitinside and outside, swapping back and forth. Not only will theenvironment change stress the rabbit, but the temperature change willas well. Even just a few degree's can still put stress on a rabbit.Also, as mentioned, so will going from one cage to another. Rabbit'sthink of their cages as their homes and safe haven's. So be switchedback and forth from one to the other doesn't allow the rabbit to feelsafe in one particular area, especially if they keep getting yankedfrom that area and put into another.

I would really suggest housing the rabbit indoors, as that is alwaysthe best conditions for a rabbit. The temperature can be monitored, andthe rabbit will enjoy beingaround the familyinsteadof outside by itself. Also, when outside, you will need to have a wellbuilt, roomy, andsturdy hutch. One that protects the rabbitfrom predators and insects. You will almost need to take precautions tokeep the rabbit cool during the summer months, as well as shaded.

I really think the best bet is to build the rabbit a nice NIC cageindoors, this way the rabbit won't be exposed to constant cage changes,temperature changes, heat extremes, predators, or insects which can bedeadly to rabbits (such as fly strike).

If your husband is not willing to allow the rabbit to stay indoors atnight, and the only option is to swap the rabbit back and forth backand forth, it may be best that you hold off on getting a rabbit untilyou are both agreeable on being able to house one properly.

It should be fine for this time of year.

The only good temperary housing I think you will find will be insidehousing. Unless you can find a decent outside hutch secondhand.

Maybe you could convince the hubby to house bun insidetemperarily? Until he has time to build the nice big outsidehutch? Say it'll be good socialization or something.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back