Cheap spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moochyesh

Reaction score
Found a vet to spay stan,however after calling around it was 100 dollars cheaper than other places. Should i be concerned?

Not necessarily. Ask how many rabbits they spay a week. I asked the vet that was triple the amount of most the area vets why she was so high. She said because she finds rabbits hard to spay and don't like doing them. The cheapest vet is the one I ended up going with because she did the most spays a week and had the least amount of deaths. She was the vet that spays all the rabbits for the local rescue.

Different hospitals will price their services differently. Some will have higher prescription costs, others higher exam fees, but in the end it typically evens out. I would ask how often they see rabbits in general and how often they do spays on rabbits. If they ask you to fast your rabbit, make sure the instruction is coming from the vet (sometimes the receptionists don't know). If the vet asks you to fast your rabbit, don't go.
The spay may also include different things in the price. For example, some vets include pain meds and some charge extra for them, but I would make sure you're getting pain meds.

Prices vary a lot. It depends on the vet. I think some that deal more with rabbits might have lower rates than those who do not see many rabbits. My vet is very reasonable with the prices.

I have seen prices from $100 to $500 in my area. I ended up going to a vet that quoted me $200 per and ended up charging me $400 per + extras. The vet I ended up going to was over an hour away. I probably should have gone to the place that charged $100 per because they do 2 spays on rabbits a week. The only reason I did not go with them was they did not answer my calls or emails within a reasonable time frame took 2 weeks to get 1 email).

Well, I found a office who will do the neuter for 50 dollars. Just seamed so out of the ordanary as i live in a populated area there are tons of vets i called about 15 before calling them. I heard the price and made a appt right away. Then thinking about it it raised questions on why so cheap. However the vet does a phone call before hand and makes sure she feels comfortable in doing the neuter. She also does give pain medicin...

Does she do blood test and an exam before hand? $50 does sound very cheap. Julie's vet charged $90 and that was cheap 8 years ago.

I agree that you should find out about how many rabbits she has spayed and how many die during surgery, then proceed from there. Also, not trying to be picky, but do you mean spay or neuter? You said spay in your original post, but neuter in the most recent one. Spaying is much more invasive, risky, and expensive than neutering and vet offices usually have different prices for the two.

I noticed i got mixed up, It will be a neuter. And i found out today that the vet is actually a training center... Not sure yet how to feel about this. Going to re think the idea of choosing them

In my experience with ALL my animals....cheaper does not necessarily mean bad. I have goats, horses, bunnies, chickens, dog, cat....I have one vet for the bunnies and another vet for all the other animals.....they both have the cheaper rates than most of the other vets...however...they are both AMAZING! The vet for the bunnies has years of experience with bunnies....which is why they go to a different clinic. I worked with a vet for a year and I am super picky....so call around and see who has experience and who you feel comfortable with...Rabbits and Rabbits USA one or the other usually has bunny vets in different states listed. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back