Cheap & Effective Litter Type?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkw

Reaction score
I am thinking about changing litter for my bunny, Neville. I was using Carefresh, but then, I decided to try Yesterday's News. I actually liked the Carefresh better. It is a bit expensive though. What are some other litter options I could use? I read something about wood pine pellets, and I thought I had seen something about a corn based litter... maybe? Thanks for all your suggestions ahead of time!

Many people love wood pellets. They are inexpensive, about $4-8 for 40 pounds, and absorbent. Since they are kiln dried, they are safe for rabbits unlike pine shavings. You don't need a lot for a litter box, I just use enough to cover the bottom of the box. A 40 pound bag lasts me about 6-8 weeks with 4 rabbits, so would least quite a bit longer with just 1.

I would not use corn based litter. It isn't safe if eaten and doesn't really absorb well. It is probably expensive for what you get as well.

Avoid any clumping litters as well as the clay based ones. Clumping ones can cause a blockage if eaten and the clay ones tend to be dusty and can cause respiratory issues.

Kiln dried pine pellet cat litter is what I buy and it works GREAT! Soaks up pee amazingly and is great odor control! I love the stuff and I can buy a 20 pound bag at PetSmart for only $8.99 and it will last me FOOORRREEEVVVEEERRRR :)

Hope this helped.

Whiskerz wrote:
I can buy a 20 pound bag at PetSmart for only $8.99
Whiskerz, check your local hardware stores that sell wood pellets in their fire place section. You could probably get a #40 bag for around $6.00

Yup, I second the wood stove pellet recommendation. It is also $6/ 40 lb bag up here too.

On a side note, it may be hard to find this summer. My local Home Depot doesn't carry them in the summer months apparently :roll:. I'm making do with Feline Pine, blaugh (too expensive!)

Corn would cause digestive problems if your rabbit were to eat it. I've used it before (ignorant of the issues), and it was very poor for absorbing the smell. Wood stove pellets are miles better in my books :)

I definitely will try the wood pine pellets! Especially if I can get them that cheap! I will try Home Depot or Lowes. So, the wood stove pellets are safe to use?

Aspen Wood Pellets.

It absorbs liquids and smells AMAZING! Since I switched, I forgot what urine smells like! lol. I have 2 buns, I scoop out a little bit twice a day and it works like a dream. Once pee hits the pellets, they just fall apart into sawdust. I cant praise this stuff enough...seriously!

Latest posts

Back