Charlotte hates strangers!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv4lionheads

Reaction score
my Lionhead Charlotte recently charged a neighbor boy of age about ten or so. he was ok, but his older sister who was nearby got bit. granted this time it wsa understandable. the boy wanted to hold the rabbit. i tell him not to and to leave her alone because she was hiding behind the chair frightened. he goes on oneside with his sister who is watching.i'm on the other trying to coax her to me and calm her down. well she boxed the boy, and bit his sis. (no blood drawn) now this girl about 6 years old is at my house and my bub is out in the living room once again. i figure it's safe. i have her in my arms and her face is burried in my elbo. i let our neighbor pet her on the back. charlotte is ok with this for about 20 seconds befor jumping from my lap and charhing Jenna (the girl.) I have to grab the rabbit in mid-jump to avoid her attacking this child. (whom i babysit) I'd be in big doodoo if she bit her badly. Now people call my poor Charlotte 'evil'. though with me and my family she's as nice as can be. is this normal? or maye she's just afraid of children?

I don't think this is normal, but it could be understandable.

Do you know her history? Does she have a bad history with children?

Also, rabbits focus a lot on smell, do these children have any prey animals in their home that Charlotte may be reacting to? Such as a cat or a dog? She may think she is defending herself against an attack, not realising it is a child.

Another possibility (one I got on the wrong side of yesterday) is how good Charlotte's eye sight is. How old is Charlotte?

If her eye sight is poor then her nose will be even more sensitive and she may think a child coming over the top of her is a bird of prey, or the fact they smell wrong is enough to panic her. Does she react to visual signs? Is she ever jumpy? Nervy?

I got Charlotte from a friend who had to get rid of her because she didn't have the time to commit to taking care of her. but now that you mention it both people had a dog at home. though i wonder if she's always on edge like that, because i'm pretty sure the person who owned her also had a cat..

She's pretty young yet. about ten months. I believe she has good eyesight. she can see a cherio in my hand from accross the room.

She is the sweetest thing to me, though covering me with bunny kissses whever i take her out to play.

I'm just nervois about when i leave for camping this saturday. all my friends own dogs. i don't want her to stress and i don't want people getting hurt either.

Some animals can be bothered by one species and not another. I have some who if I smell of dog just cower and hide (like if I've stroked a dog at the vets or something), but they can tolerate our cat just fine.

Maqybe next time they come try putting some vanilla essence just above Charlotte's nose and see if that makes a difference when she is near the children and the children are near her. The vanilla will smell and will over power the smells that are on the children, hopefully. If that doesn't work, then it may be something else that is causing her to do that.

Latest posts

Back