Charlie is still 'horny'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
Charlie has been mounting Misty ALL the time,and I thought it was just dominance mounting, because he is not aroused when he does it.

Now I think it's different because he is doing the love dance around me, making his little grunting noises and he has been trying to hump my hand all morning.

I'm concerned.

So have there been cases when the vet neuters a bunny but doesn't get all the 'bits' to tame the hormones? If so - is there a way for them to check that it was done correctly? X-rays etc.

I'm so not impressed. I don't think Misty is either as he has been getting worse and I can see she is feeling harassed by the whole thing. She can't even stop to eat before he is climbing on.

how long has it been since he has been fixed?

he might just need more time?

a little over 4 months....

Around this time last year, Loki got really horny. He still couldn't remember how to mount (and would get the most confused expression on his face while trying to figure it out,LOL!), but he would do his love dance for Mocha all the time.He had been neutered since the previous May.

I haven't seen him do that yet this year, but I hope I do because it's adorable. Maybe it's the season for love?

I have heard of cases where the vet accidently leaves a little bit of... stuff... in and it causes extra hormones. You can't see it with an xray, I think they have to go in surgically. But the pituitary gland also produces testosterone and if that's overproducing, you can't do a whole lot about it that I know of.

I think Misty needs an ejector button on her butt!:D

Thanks! I know I posted about this before, but I just get so worried that Misty will either snapand get really stressed at all the action she's getting:shock:eek:r snap and kick his butt.

When I give them dinner, I am usually her ejector button.lol. I have to sit behind her and guard her butt.It usually involves me shoving Charlie away as he tries to get by me tosniff her out.

*sigh*

Edit: I definately wouldn't put him through surgery again, I missed him like crazy the last time he was in... I guess we'll both have to learn to live with it.
_________
Nadia

How was your bunny neutered? I know this sounds funny but over here they do the full surgery and take away the testicles and then they leave the sac to shrink but i have heard of some places injecting something into the testes so that is why i'm asking.

i did notice with Dido that even after he was neutered every year he would get horny in the spring!

Re. the pituitary glad thing, I could swear that I've seen posts on EB where people whose bunnies had problems were able to get help for them, but I'd need to go back into the archives to find info. ...

Edit: yes, one of the vets on EB has posted that pituitary gland problems of this kind can be treated with Lupron. (Which is also used in "human" medicine, but for completely different reasons.)Unfortunately, I can't find any links to online articles on this -might be a relatively "new" treatment (???).

Hmm.... I will ask my vet about the Lupron and see what they think. Charlie is due for a checkup, so will definately look into it.

polly - they did the full surgery just like you mentioned, took everything out and left the empty sac (my fiance is cringing as I type this - lol).

Latest posts

Back